Holidays You Need to be Celebrating This October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

October is known for the emergence of pumpkin spice, changing leaves, and picking out your Halloween costumes, but PSA people— you’re going to want to mark these on your calendar. 

October 1: National Homemade Cookies Day

Put down the Hotbox cookies and whip up yourself a homemade batch. It’s starting to get cooler outside so this is the perfect chance to turn on the oven without running up your electricity bill. 

October 2: Oktoberfest Ends

Celebrate like the Germans do and drink a warm beer. Or don’t… because honestly that doesn’t sound very good. 

October 4: National Frappe Day

Treat yourself and head to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts for a Frappucino. How fast can you say grande Salted Carmel Mocha Frappuccino? 

October 5: National Kale Day

You have two options for this one: you can either eat Kale or dance to 7/11 in a KALE t-shirt ala Beyonce. Number two sounds more fun, but hey, no judging. 

October 9: Moldy Cheese Day

Maybe don’t partake in this one…

October 11: It’s My Party Day

This one’s falls on a Tuesday so grab your friends, play some music, and have yourself a midweek party. It’s Tuesday, which means it’s almost Wednesday, which means it’s almost the weekend. That’s reason enough to celebrate. 

October 13: Friday the 13th

You know what that means: things are gonna get SPOOKY

October 14: World Egg Day

Breakfast foods are amazing so look at your Pinterest board and make a breakfast-for-dinner feast for yourself. 

October 16: Bosses Day

Shoutout to you for being the amazing boss that you are. Walk a little taller today and think about all the awesomeness that is you. Also, don’t forget to thank your actual work boss because without them, you’d be unemployed. 

October 24: United Nations Day

Emma Watson gave an amazing speech on September 20 for the UN campaign HeForShe. In it, she challenges universities to provide, “equal respect, leadership, and pay.” If you haven’t seen it yet, today would be a great day to check it out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdqI0s407TA

October 30: Mischief Night

Lowkey, “Mischief Night” sounds way scarier than Halloween.