This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Girls have a certain reputation for being sweatshirt thieves, all starting in middle school and never really ending from there. I always hear of guys complaining that once a girl borrows a sweatshirt, there’s really no looking back and that sweatshirt is history. As a girl myself, I defend the sweatshirt borrowing (emphasis on borrowing, and not stealing completely), because there is absolutely nothing better than bundling up in a guy’s hoodie. They’re slightly too big in all the right ways, they remind you of the guy and (hopefully) they have that slight guy cologne smell that just makes you melt away. But the borrowing doesn’t just have to stop at hoodies, as there are so many awesome things to take out on loan from your guy’s closet.

I looked to campus couple Kelly Rummerfield (@kellrumm) and Eric Luder (@ericluder1) to feature some of her favorite looks using borrowed items from his closet.

First, Kelly rocks his black Nike Sweatpants to have an athletic spin on a comfy dorm-lounging look. It’s simple, classic, and easy to pull off.

In a scramble to cover up a bad hair day, a baseball cap that sports his favorite team or school is a no-brainer solution. If you’re apart of Greek Life on campus, it can be really cool to show off his letters. Plus, I think it’s safe to say that every girl looks just that much cuter in a baseball cap.

Personally, my favorite guy-clothing item in the entire world is a large flannel shirt, as I believe it is a universal piece that makes both guys and girls look their best. Kelly is no exception to that, as she combines this flannel with leggings and riding boots. This is an outfit that works wonderfully with the fall aesthetic, and it’s incredibly easy to replicate.

Last but not least, the infamous hoodie had to be included in the mix. Not too tight, not too big, it’s already worn in, and mainly, it’s his. Nothing will be able to replace it.

Whether you’re borrowing from a best guy friend’s closet, a boyfriend’s closet, or even just picking up your own shirt from the guy’s section of a store, it’s always a unique and interesting twist to incorporate guy items into your everyday style. Take his style, make it your own, and work it like nobody else has. 

Journalism Student, Arts Enthusiast, & Minneapolis Native.