This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I’ve had my eye on this craft for awhile now. My wall is pretty bare and I need more room to write my notes down. So, on one of my many trips to the good old Goodwill, I found this gem of a picture frame.

I knew then that it was time to make the chalkboard I had wanted to make (happy dance time). May I add that this craft wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be? Only $23! The frame was almost half the cost ($10), so feel free to buy a smaller frame. As you can see, mine is pretty big. I’ve always been told to go big or go home.

Supplies:

• Picture frame with glass (picture above)
  • Chalk board paint
  • Chalk— I picked colored, of course
  • Paper plate
  • Paint for frame
  • Brushes
  • Something to paint on— I picked plastic bags to cover my table
  • Wash cloth, dish towel or paper towels
  • Something to open your paint container, if needed

Step 1: Wash off the frame with a glass of water and a dish towel.

Step 2: Take the back of the picture frame off to get to the glass. Throw away picture if you don’t want it.

Step 3: Take the glass out of the frame. Be very careful when doing this step. You can leave the glass in, but it will be harder to paint.

Step 4: Open your chalk board paint container and grab a brush. Start painting the glass, which will now be your chalkboard. Try to paint coats that are as even as possible.

Step 5: While that dries, paint the frame. Put the paint on a paper plate and grab a new brush. Start painting your little heart out. I only did one layer of paint because I liked the other color showing through, giving it the shabby chic look.

Step 6: Now, if the chalkboard paint is dry start on your next coat of paint. Again, make sure to make this as even as possible.

Step 7: Repeat Step 6 if needed and let the paint dry.

Step 8: Put your glass back in the frame and you have your very own chalkboard. Enjoy!