This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This is it – the time of the semester we have all dread: finals time. With only 3 short weeks left, it is that time of the year where we all will start cramming to study for all of our final exams. As we all know, this is the most stressful time of the semester, where we are constantly studying our textbooks or working on papers. Meanwhile, we tend to forget about other important things such as our diet and exercise. Here are some of the best study snacks you can indulge in without completely forgetting your balanced diet.

1.     Mixed Nuts

Nuts such as almonds, cashews, and peanuts offer a great source of protein that fills you up quick. If you can, it is better to eat the unsalted kind. However, even if you don’t eat the unsalted kind, these nuts still offer great benefits if you watch your portions. They offer you protein, fiber and healthy fats so eat up!

2.     Popcorn

Believe it or not, popcorn really is a pretty healthy snack. Go for the unsalted and less buttery kind so that you can indulge in the fiber goodness without all of the extra calories. Not to mention it is quick, cheap, and easy to make, which is convenient for study breaks.

3.     Veggies with Hummus

Instead of eating a full bag of pita chips with hummus, go for veggies with hummus. Vegetables are a great way to get a natural source of energy, and hummus is made from chickpeas, which are a good source of protein. However, you do need to watch how much hummus you eat because it tends to be high in fat. Look for the already portioned containers of hummus. There are usually only 30 calories in each one.

4.     Apple with Peanut Butter

Apples are great snacks individually, but peanut butter adds the protein and extra alertness. Try reduced fat or natural peanut butter, and watch how many servings you consume in order to get just the right amount for a healthy study snack.

5.     Triscuits with Light Laughing Cow Cheese

Triscuits are high-fiber crackers and can easily be paired with light Laughing Cow Cheese. There are six different flavors of Laughing Cow Cheese, which will allow you to find the taste you’re looking for in order to create an ideal study snack without all the calories.

6.     Whole Grain Crackers/Pretzels

If you are looking for a salty snack without all the calories, this is for you. Whole grain crackers and pretzels are much healthier for you than potato chips, while still offering you the salty flavor. 

7.     Greek Yogurt

If you are having an all day study-sesh and need a satisfying snack that will keep you full for a long period of time, greek yogurt will do the trick. With high amounts of protein and minimal calories, greek yogurt will keep you full for a long period of time while you’re studying. Also, greek yogurt is fairly inexpensive and easy to eat on the go.

8.     Berries

Berries offer you many antioxidants. Although you should try to eat some every day, they are especially usual to eat while studying for finals. They are a healthy and sweet treat that can satisfy your cravings for candy, without all the calories. Berries offer so many great benefits for your diet, so you can’t go wrong by choosing these as your go to study snack!

9.     Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a great breakfast option, but it is also a great study snack. Not only is it quick and convenient, but it  satisfies you for a longer period of time without a high amount of calories. Oatmeal is high in fiber, which helps control your weight.

10.  Whole Grain Cereal

Whole grain cereal offers you a good amount of protein, fiber, and nutrients. Pair whole grain cereal with skim milk for a tasty study snack without all of the sugar.

In these next few weeks, the most important thing to remember is to not lose sight of your diet completely. It is okay to have a pick-me-up snack here and there. After all, sometimes it is beneficial to have a small sweet treat. However, if you stick to these healthy study snacks for the majority of your studying, you will be able to work hard without having worry about your weight as well. Remember to get as much sleep as you can in the next few weeks, exercise frequently, and stay positive. And if you need a pick me up, these healthy study snacks are there for you! 

University of Kansas Journalism School Student