This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Hayley Loufek isn’t afraid to dream. Any individual who has spent time with Hayley knows this fact to be true. She is, at her core, someone who challenges and believes in the most inspirational and important ways possible. A senior majoring in English with a pre-med interest, Hayley dares to see the world with ultimate optimism. A transfer student, Hayley found herself drawn to KU, drawn by the people, the places, the ideas that reflected off of the campus and made it all seem electric and possible. Originally from Aurora, Illinois, Hayley fell in love with KU because it was, all along, “the picture in my mind of what college should look like.” Hayley keeps herself plenty busy with her time at KU, devoting herself most ardently and passionately to the Big Event, KUDM, and her a capella group, “Genuine Imitation.” Although busy, Hayley still finds time to dream, to be inspired, and most importantly, to help change the world in whatever ways possible.

When prompted what her favorite thing about KU was, Hayley said, “I think the campus is beautiful and I genuinely like the professors and other students in my major and pre-med classes.”

Hayley is a true traditions girl as well. She loves KU because it is founded on such strong traditions. She takes pride, each and every day, in being able to say proudly that she goes to KU, that she gets to witness the marvel of KU basketball up-close and personal, and that she gets to be a major factor in planning events at KU that will surely only become more successful.

Hayley works impeccably hard at everything she does, so that she can confidently and accurately assess that she has worked to better something or someone. One knows, without a doubt, that she loves people, truly loves the people she helps, and that is the reason she wishes to continue doing what she does best. She loves the community of Lawrence because each and every person she meets dares her to dream and never fails to make her feel welcome and at home. She loves that Lawrence is so delicately tied to the university, so intertwined with the same aspirations, general outlooks, and revolutionary perspectives. After graduating from college, Hayley dreams of attending medical school, focusing in orthopedics or sports medicine. She dreams of becoming a team physician, working for the athletes and coaches who inspire and motivate great action and even greater school pride. But Hayley is also marvelously well-rounded, and that is the reason she loves English and chose to major in English. She loves words and literature and she didn’t see any reason why she shouldn’t be able to follow all of her passions.

The reason Hayley helps people, is quite simple when listening to the reasons she also wants to become a physician. According to her, she loves watching and being involved in the kind of medicine and practice that truly provides for their patients by taking a vested interest in helping their patients as a person, as a holistic health care provider, and not just as a day full of appointments. Hayley is clearly passionate about KUDM, and she has spent the past several months as a member of its recruitment committee. She loves watching the work that goes into it, knowing people’s lives will surely change for the better for every meeting that she attends and every dollar that she raises. Hayley also devotes her time to being a codirector of the recruitment committee for the Big Event, one of the largest days of student community service at KU. She loves the Big Event and working hard for it because she truly enjoys watching the love and appreciation each involved leader and volunteer has for service and devotion to the people and places that make her college experience and those around her, all the better.

“The Big Event is one of my favorite KU traditions because volunteering for the Big Event was really humbling for me. It’s easy to forge that Lawrence is home to more than just students, and the Big Event, to me, is a way to say thank you to the place that has welcome me and those I care about graciously at this time in our lives,” she said.

Hayley enjoys spending her free time going out to dinner, catching up with friends, and witnessing the marvel that is KU sports. Hayley couldn’t help but encourage interested individuals to check out the Mini Big Event, happening on Nov. 16, basically ran the same way as the Big Event, just on a smaller scale. Volunteering is easy, as it only takes a registration at thebigeventku.com. Hayley encourages students to make the most of their time at KU, to stay updated on current events, and to explore the university not as separate entities, but as a wide, large, incredibly important whole. Hayley is constantly inspired to be the best she can be because she is so grateful for what she has, and using the opportunities she has to make the greatest difference. She states, “I try to adhere to my own personal values to achieve the goals I’ve set for myself.” She is also inspired to do what she does by the overwhelming kindness of those around her. She finds herself entranced and passionate about the people who dare to treat each and every person as a friend. Hayley isn’t afraid to lead. She isn’t afraid to believe in something tremendous and important. She isn’t afraid to work hard. And maybe most importantly, she isn’t afraid to dream, truly dream, the most wonderful and grand of dreams.