The Hashtag that’s Shedding Light on the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The hashtag #OscarsSoWhite seems to have become an annual tradition for the nominations during the Oscars. This year multiple films were created with actors that mass audiences believed deserved nominations to the Oscars. These films had African American as lead protagonists with roles that could actually illuminate the talent of these individuals. However, none of these men were nominated.

Many individuals have spoken out this year. Jada Pinkett Smith shared a video on Facebook declaring that she would not be attending or watching the Oscars. In her video she made many points, many of which talked about the devalue that Hollywood gives to the African American community. Pinkett stated, “…begging for acknowledgement or even asking diminishes dignity and diminishes power and we are a dignified people, and we are powerful, and let’s not forget it.”

George Clooney also made comments on the hashtag and nominations by the Oscars this year. Clooney expressed that 10 years ago the Oscars seemed to be doing a better job, having nominations in 2004 that composed itself of Don Cheadle and Morgan Freeman. Clooney also stated that he believed there were some nominations that were left of the table, which included: Creed, Concussion, Idris Elba for Beast of the Nation, and Straight Outta Compton.

After reading many articles on this subject I came across the words of Diana Ozemebhoya Ereomosele, which I believe really explained some of the core issues.

“I think the vast majority of the people who sit on the academy voting board (something like 75% of these individuals are white men) tend to view our talent and art as different. It’s almost as if they think black actors aren’t really acting, aren’t really detaching themselves from themselves to bring these fictous souls to life. It’s very odd”, Ereomosele wrote in her article covering the Oscars hashtag.

Some celebrities shared their opinions also on Instagram

This hashtag highlights issues that are very well present in our Hollywood. It is not only that nominations were not made for these worthy individuals, but it is also that Hollywood seems to believe that people of color do not have the number of interesting stories as white individuals. Actors and actresses of color in this country have a selected amount of roles they can fully develop and demonstrate raw talent, while white actors and actresses do not have to count or hope for well-developed roles to be available, they just are.

Sources:

Photos from twitter

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2016/01/george_clooney_agrees_with_the_oscarsowhite_outcry_says_there_were_black.html

Other sources include interviews and social media posts by celebrities such as Jada Pinkett Smith