Handling a “We regret to inform you…” Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

At some point in your life, you will probably open a letter that contains the words, “I regret to inform you that…” from a college, specific program, scholarship, internship, job, or the like that you have applied for. 

The stages a lot of people go through after receiving a letter of this nature are similar to the ones you go through after a hard break up. I’ve listed these stages as well as my advice on how to move past them:

Stage one: Anger

Possible thoughts:

“How could they reject me?”

“I worked so hard on that application!”

“I am so perfect for that (insert whatever you applied for). I deserved to get it.”

“Whatever, I don’t need them anyway!” 

Mood Music: “So What”- Pink

How to handle this stage: Try to stay calm. If you really need to channel your anger, try writing a letter to whoever rejected you, but don’t send it to them. Just let out all of your thoughts, then throw it away. 

Stage Two: Depression

Possible thoughts:

“What am I going to do now?”

“Why did I even try?”

“I wanted this so badly.”

“I’m never getting out of bed to do anything ever again.”

Mood Music: “Wrecking Ball”- Miley Cyrus 

How to handle this stage: Call your best friend. Have her come over to share a bottle of wine or a jar of Nutella (or both, no judgment). Talk to her about it – you will probably feel better by the end of the night.

Stage Three: Picking Yourself Back Up

Possible thoughts:

“Well…this sucks, but I can move past it.”

“I really need to get out of this bed.”

“Time to find my plan B.”

“Goodbye sweatpants, hello shower.”

Mood Music: “That’s Life”- Frank Sinatra

How to handle this stage: Come up with a list of productive things you can do with your day – it doesn’t have to be anything major.

Stage Four: Find your next Plan of Action

Possible Thoughts:

“If I just do ____ differently, I might get it. I should try again.”

“I’m gonna keep exploring my options, maybe I’ll find something even better.”

“I CAN do this.”

Mood Music: “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)”- Kelly Clarkson 

How to handle this stage: Soak it in, embrace your awesome and look at your rejection as a blessing in disguise. You ‘re on your way to finding the place you truly belong.

Credits

Cover

All videos taken from YouTube

I am a Chicago native, and a student at the University of Kansas. I'm studying secondary education with an emphasis in English, and I hope to earn my masters in special education. My favorite things in the world are puppies, girl's nights in, and perfectly balanced caramel macchiatos. My least favorite things are clowns, writer's block, and going to the dentist. If you want to know more about me, just read my articles! I will try to put my own personal spin on every topic I cover. Her Campus rules, Rock Chalk!