Five Ways to Deal with Your Shopping Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Classes are in session, homework is piling up and new resolutions to study and drink less on Sunday nights are coming into play–at least, that’s what we’re telling ourselves. What better time to start making changes than the new school year? It’s a time to break old habits and start new ones.

There are a lot of bad habits to work on this year, but my worst one has to do with what every college student agonizes over for most of his or her educational career: money. It affects everything we do–how many classes we take, what we eat, what we do in our free time, how many jobs we commit ourselves to during the semester. Money is the college kid’s kryptonite, and today, I want to tackle a problem that has haunted me since I started receiving an allowance back in grade school.

Hello, my name is Callie Byrnes and I’m a shopaholic.

Shopping addictions are unhealthy for a variety of reasons, and I can’t say that money isn’t a big part of it. Admitting that we have a problem may be the first step, but action is an important part of progressing. So for any shopaholic who’d like to join me on this train to recovery, here are five tips to keep in mind the next time you’re drooling over that new dress in the store window.

(Photo credit: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PPKUIxw1xcg/UlkoVur-vwI/AAAAAAAADy0/LRA9ofI3wq…)

1. Borrow what you can.

It’s embarrassing to admit that one of my worst shopping addictions comes in the form of the most easily-borrowed item ever: books. I mean, it’s basically the whole reason that libraries exist, so that we don’t have to pay money to enjoy some good literature. There are a lot of items we splurge on that we can use from other places at little or no charge at all. Clothes and shoes can be harder to borrow, but if you have friends or acquaintances who are the same size, there’s no harm in asking if you can wear one of their fancy dresses to your next big event. If college has taught us anything, it’s to use our resources wisely.

(Photo credit: http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m72m17tsKa1rsmws3o1_500.gif)

2. Go through your possessions on a regular basis.

This is a good idea for a variety of reasons. First of all, if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably find about a billion things you forgot you had, a few of which you’ve probably attempted to buy from Target again. It’s also a good practice because shopping addictions usually goes hand-in-hand with hoarding problems. One of my friends always told me that if I don’t wear an article of clothing within six months, it’s probably something I don’t need. I think this rule can be applied to a lot of different items in your room. Realistically, the chance that you’re going to need those overalls you haven’t worn since the early 2000’s is pretty slim. Take it to Plato’s Closet or Arizona Trading Company and see if they’ll buy it off your hands. At least then it won’t hurt your wallet quite as much next time you slip up and buy that hella cute skirt at Urban Outfitters. Always be ready for the relapse.

(Photo credit: http://38.media.tumblr.com/e2a8b3947651117fe2fdd58d9a178422/tumblr_ml3jq…)

3. Recycle when you can.

And I don’t mean paper and plastic, though by all means, go forth and save the planet. What I mean is that you should try to use what you already own in a variety of different ways. Try changing up different outfits in your closet when you feel like a new look; if you’re good with a sewing machine, alter when you can. There’s a ton of Internet how-to’s to make old t-shirts into cute tops and dresses. Look up DIY tips on Pinterest or browse Life Hacks to find new ways to use what you already own. Why buy something new when you may already have something that could serve the same purpose?

(Photo credit: http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/tumblr_mh4gn7RB9y1qf4sbho1_500.gif)

4. If you’re tempted to buy something, wait it out.

You know when you’re in the store and you see something you swear you just have to have? The hardest thing to do is to resist the initial temptation to put it in your cart, but if you can get past that, it’s a lot easier. In dire moments like this, I usually play a game called “Let’s Keep This Here And Walk Around The Store And Maybe I’ll Come Back For It Later.” It’s pretty self-explanatory. Generally, if I can keep the object out of my cart (with the dramatic promise that I will come back for it, I will, I swear), my desire to have it lessens. Maybe it’s because I’m usually too lazy to go back for it, but I think it’s also because once I get past the whole love at first sight thing, I realize it’s not something I really want to waste my money on. It’s saved me more than a few bucks and the frustration of owning patterned pants that I won’t find anything to wear with, anyway. For more extreme versions of this game, leave the store entirely. Or, you know, the state.

(Photo credit: http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cookie_monster_wai…)

5. Figure out why you feel the need to splurge

I’m sure many of us with bad shopping habits can at least think of one instance where we’ve bought things to make us feel better about something completely irrelevant. When things are going bad, sometimes the rush of getting something new is what we need to take our mind off of whatever’s going on. But even though owning the new phone or dress will feel great for a while, the feeling won’t last nearly as long as you want it to, and sometimes that can lead to the next impulse buy.

It’s always good to figure out why you think you need something. A lot of times it really may just be because of pure desire, because who wouldn’t want that cute pair of shoes? But on the off chance that you are indulging in retail therapy, it’s best that you take a step back and decide if those shoes will really fix whatever has been bothering you. In the long run, relying on material things to make you happy will probably just make you even unhappier, especially when you’ve run out of grocery money and have to spend the rest of the month eating ramen.

(Photo credit: http://www.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/confessions-of-a-shopahol…)

Will this be the year of changes for our shopping habits? Perhaps not. Old habits die hard and it’s never easy to keep up school year resolutions. But hey, maybe we can save a pretty penny or two and in my book, that has to count for something.