Finding Your Inner Rory Gilmore- The Best Study Locales in Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With the semester just getting started, many of us are reminded that school takes a lot of work and time. Studying doesn’t have to be completely boring though; check out my four favorite places to get some work done but also enjoy my day.

1. Watson Library. In my opinion the prettiest library on campus, Watson Library has a seemingly endless selection of study spots. The main floor on which you enter tends to be louder than the other floors; however it is filled with large tables you can spread out on and comfy chairs you can spend the afternoon on. Heading downstairs and you will find rows and rows of bookshelves. It is pretty quiet down there, but let’s just say that if you get lost, no one will find you for a while! If you go upstairs to the fourth and fifth floors it’s much quieter and you get the chance to really buckle down and focus on your studies. My personal favorite is the top floor. Along the gorgeous wide windows are personal studying desks with a wall around each one for ultimate privacy and silence. You should have no problem getting your work done- except for being distracted by the lovely view out the windows.

2. The Dusty Bookshelf. I cannot fully put in to words how much I love this adorable book store. Located right on Massachusetts Street, The Dusty Bookshelf is a bookworm’s paradise. The walls are absolutely packed with novels and cozy chairs are placed throughout the store. Every corner is a perfect study spot, so go in, choose one and in a matter of hours you will have checked numerous assignments off of your “to do” list and maybe have even walked out with a few new books in hand.

3. Signs of Life. Upon entering this bookshop, although adorable, you may think that’s all there is to it. But don’t walk out so quickly. To the left of the entrance is a quaint cafe with a hospitable staff and the most delicious coffee. Grab a cup and head to the back of the shop where you’ll find a study room with a long table and a white board hidden between the bookshelves. Signs of Life is the perfect place to spend your morning, as it has coffee, books, and a great study area. If you get your studies done a bit early or just need a break, head upstairs to their art gallery to see some amazing pieces of local art.

4. Under a Tree. It is almost fall and the weather is finally perfect. Get out of your dark and stuffy dorm room, walk up the Hill, and perch yourself under one of the campus’ many beautiful trees. It will no doubt have a great view and some fresh air will definitely give your brain a little bit of breathing toom to get some studying done!