This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Most people that I talk to about tea seem to either love it or hate it. I personally love tea and its versatility. It can be consumed hot or iced, sweet or unsweet, flavored or unflavored. I also happen to be a caffeine addict and find tea to be a good alternative to coffee that is easier on my stomach. Tea can provide a lot of different health benefits as well. If you are on the fence about tea, here is a little bit about the five of the most common types.

1. Black tea: 75 percent of tea consumed around the world is black tea. It forms the basis of many flavored teas, like chai. It can have a bitter taste, so I like to add a little honey. It is the tea that contains the most caffeine with 40 milligrams. Antioxidants found in black tea, including theflavins and thearubigins, can help lower cholesterol.

Earl grey is a black tea flavored with bergamot. I probably started drinking it as a kid because of Captain Jean-Luc Picard. I really just love the flavor; it’s simple, aromatic and not overwhelming.” – sophomore Morgan Smith (@MorganAideen), studying Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies

2. Green tea: Green tea offers a more subtle flavor. It contains a little over half the caffeine found in black tea. It’s typically associated with weight loss because it can help speed up your metabolism. It also offers many antioxidants that can fight off diseases.

Weight loss benefits, improves mental abilities, helps your cells regenerate. Basically it’s just the bad a** of all teas.” – junior Dante Mesa (@dawntaymaysuh), studying organismal biology.

3. White tea: White tea generally is less processed and therefore has a pure, but mild taste. Since it is unfermented, it offers a lot of health benefits to improve cardiovascular health. It contains less caffeine than both black and green tea with just 15 milligrams.

4. Flavored tea: There are so many flavored teas to choose from. You could go the citrus route with flavors of lemongrass and orange peel, or with warmer flavors like vanilla and cinnamon. It might seem like flavored tea would have less health benefits than unflavored, but they actually have about the same as long as you aren’t buying it in a bottle. If you’re bored with black tea, you don’t have to feel bad about trying something with bolder flavors.

I love flavored tea because it can add a twist of flavor to any type of tea. My favorites are peach green tea and vanilla chai.” – junior Jessica Doane (@jessicaxxrenee)

5. Herbal tea: Herbal teas don’t actually contain any tea leaves. They are usually a blend of dried fruit, flowers and herbs. Herbal teas are a good choice for people who are sensitive to caffeine or want to have a cup before going to bed.

Herbal blends tend to offer a wide variety of combinations. They tend to have the most unique flavors. In the form of Red “Rooibos” teas, there tends to be little to no caffeine and you can really play around with what kind of teas you like. My recent favorite has been an Earl Grey Rooibos. It has no caffeine, but is a blend of traditional earl grey flavor with a mildly fruity twist because of the Rooibos.” – junior Michael Marcus (@m2marcus), studying Religious Studies

Tea in Lawrence

Lawrence is home to its very own artisan tea lounge, Mana Bar, which is located on Massachusetts Street. This tea bar offers a laid back atmosphere where you can hang out with friends or study for exams. They will give out taste samples and always have new, exciting flavors. It can also save you money when you order a whole pot for $5.

Junior majoring in journalism and minoring in business at the University of Kansas. Experience as an entertainment correspondent for the University Daily Kansan and news writer for Her Campus, with an emphasis on lifestyle writing. CO Campus Rep. Dabbles in the art of love letter writing for More Love Letters.lawrencefoodie.wordpress.com