DIY: Pumpkin Painting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Since Halloween is coming up in a few weeks and fall is one of my favorite times to be crafty. I thought that I would share a few different ways to decorate your pumpkins without carving them. This week, as a start, I’m going to show you how to paint them to perfection. It’s very simple and will probably only take you about 30 minutes to do. Let’s get started!

What you will need:

A Pumpkin: doesn’t matter the size, just one that you feel comfortable painting!

Paint: Obviously, this is essential, but pick about three to four colors that you really like and go from there. Canvas paints (aka paints in the small bottles from Michaels or Hobby Lobby work the best!)

Paint Brushes: I recommend using two types of brushes while painting. The big ones with the foamy tips work the best for painting the whole thing and smaller ones work the best for touch ups!

Some Sort of Sealant

Anything else you want to decorate with!

LET’S DIY!

So, the great thing about painting pumpkins besides not having to carve them is getting to be creative. It’s really hard to give you step by step instructions, so I’m going to show the steps I took to create this flowery one.

(Insert Pumpkin Photo Here)

Step 1: I painted the pumpkin white. As you can probably tell, I only did about two layers of the paint because I did want to see a little bit of the actual pumpkin.

Step 2: I painted in the flowers with pink paint. I did about one layer because the white was still drying and I wanted it to be quick.

Step 3: I went back and added some definition to the flowers with some red paint and white paint, blending them together.

Step 4: I painted green vines to kind of bring the whole pumpkin together.

Okay, that’s about it for me today! I hope you all enjoyed this small DIY. If you are really interested in painting something similar onto a canvas, you should check out our Lily Print DIY here on Her Campus KU, it’s where I got my inspiration!

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_