Chelsea Bohnstedt Raises Awareness for Leukemia and Lymphoma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Meet Chelsea Bohnstedt who is rock chalk enthusiast and psychology major from Port Charlotte, Fl. In her free time when she’s not playing with her adorable puppy, George, or watercolor painting, Chelsea is helping to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was founded in 1949 with the goal of helping the victims and families affected by leukemia and lymphoma. The society helps subsidize medical costs, provides support for the families and intends to find a cure for these diseases. Each year in Lawrence, a walk is hosted to raise money for the society, called Light the Night.

Chelsea got involved with the society through the Light the Night walk two years ago when she saw a flyer on campus. “I saw the flyer and thought, ‘Perfect!’ Not only is it something to get me involved, but it has personal meaning and is for a good cause,” said Chelsea.

Chelsea’s uncle died from leukemia, so the cause is very dear to her heart. “It’s a really nasty disease, it’s really hard to fight. Outside of my uncle, I know a lot of friends who have lost people to it or have fought it. I’d like to hopefully contribute to someone getting better someday.”

Chelsea is the captain of her team for the walk for the second year in a row. Together, they have raised $250 with a goal of $500 by October.

The Light the Night walk takes place October 6th at 7:45 pm at South Park in Lawrence. Anyone can come out and support the walkers on their mile walk against leukemia and lymphoma!

I'm a senior at KU double majoring in English and Journalism.  I love reading, dancing, and playing with my two dogs - Ellie and Delilah! 
Maggie is a rising senior at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She has interned at Parents magazine and Glamour magazine and hopes to land an editing position someday. Maggie founded a health and fitness website called Get Fit Get Life and she is a personal trainer. She doesn't go a day without an iced coffee with a splash of almond milk!