Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

KU Celebrities

Meet SUA President Bea Tretbar

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
September 20, 2014 - 11:43am

Ever been to a large concert or comedy event on campus? Or even a cooking or craft class? Chances are, Student Union Activities (SUA) was behind that event. And working behind the scenes for SUA to make sure all of these events go well is SUA President Bea Tretbar (@beatricetretbar). Bea is a senior from Wichita majoring in Journalism- Strategic Communications, while also minoring in business and economics. READ MORE

Richie Hernandez

By Jacey Lee Bishop
September 18, 2014 - 12:22pm

When you think of the words “dedicated” and “ambitious,” the first name that should come to your mind is most definitely Richie Hernandez. As a sophomore pre-law student double majoring in philosophy and political science, Richie is the prime example of a Jayhawk that goes above and beyond to achieve the goals he sets for himself. Originating from Kansas City’s own Wyandotte County, Richie always had his sights set on KU. When asked what made him choose The University of Kansas, he replied, “There really just wasn’t another option for me. I’m a Jayhawk through and through, and I’ve known it since the second I even thought about college. KU just struck me immediately as the place to be, so here I am. READ MORE...

TJ Blake

By Emily Lenherr
September 16, 2014 - 8:00am

TJ Blake will surely change the world one day. Any time spent with TJ will confirm this idea for sure. There’s something about his passion, his excitement for the future, the way his eyes glow when he’s truly devoted to something that makes him seem invincible. As a journalism and political science major, TJ is committed to standing up for those who deserve it most. With his extracurricular time, TJ is committed to his position on Student Senate, Student Union Activities work, University Events Committee, Alterative Breaks, the Honors Program and Hawks Helping Hawks. To top it all off, TJ also interns and works at the Kansas Union as an Event Services Coordinator. READ MORE

Rajvi Shah

By Emily Lenherr
September 11, 2014 - 8:00am

Rajvi Shah (@Rajvi Shah34) is one of those girls. She dares to change the world, dreams, and challenges everything and anything in the pursuit of progress. She’s the type of girl who is, quite literally, impossible to doubt. A sophomore majoring in neurobiology with a psychology minor, Rajvi Shah is no stranger to challenges. As a pre-med student with a plate full of activities, honors and commitments, she’s always on the go. She spends her time on campus as an Honors Program Ambassador, serving on the Honors Program Student Council and Student Health Advisory Board, committed to the pre-medical fraternity Phi Delta Epsilon, and dedicated to her job as secretary for the South Asian Student Association. READ MORE
...

Miranda Davis

By Emily Lenherr
September 4, 2014 - 8:29am

With her bright red hair blowing in the wind behind her, you might just think Miranda Davis (@MirandaDavisUDK) is Superwoman. One look at her long list of accomplishments and activities will confirm this idea for sure. Born and raised in Lawrence, Miranda learned long ago that KU was the best place for her. As she describes it, “KU felt like the place I could truly be myself.” As a junior double majoring in journalism and political science, Miranda has certainly had her fair share of Jayhawk love. She spends her time outside of classes writing as a Student Senate reporter for the UDK and as a general assignment reporter. READ MORE

KU Orientation Assistant Series: Cornelius U-Jean Baker

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
July 23, 2014 - 11:36am

Name: Cornelius U-Jean Baker Year: Junior Major: Behavioral Neuroscience Hometown: Wichita Twitter Handle: @BakerCorn Activities you are involved in: KU Dance Marathon – Recruitment & Morale Committee, Allyship Workshop – Student Facilitator, Student Senate – On-Campus Senator, Student Housing – Oliver Resident Assistant, Office of Admissions – Multicultural Recruitment Team READ MORE

Orientation Assistant Spotlight: Becca Levine

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
July 10, 2014 - 3:55pm

Name: Becca Levine   Year: Junior Major: Religious Studies major and Jewish Studies and Leadership Studies minors Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri Activities you are involved in: KU Hillel, Undergraduate rep for Department of Religious Studies, Alpha Delta Pi, First-Year Experience, Jayhawks for Israel   READ MORE

KU Orientation Assistant Series: Jordyn Cox

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
July 6, 2014 - 5:18pm

Name: Jordyn Cox Year: Senior, Class of 2015 Major: Anthropology and Italian with a minor in theatre Hometown: Wichita, KS READ MORE

Kayla Carroll

By Cherilyn Farris
May 9, 2014 - 11:56am

This is one girl that knows how to bustle. Aside from managing an already not-so-typical Collegiette courseload, Kayla juggles a schedule that would make many people exhausted just looking at it. Pursuing a Bachelor's in Environmental Design is no easy feat, three-hour-long studios and homework to match takes up a lot of time, not to mention that she is also obtaining a minor in business with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. The rest of her time is committed to being an active member and T-shirt Chair of the Pi Beta Phi sorority, volunteering at blood drives and participating in the environmental design club, waitressing at a local sports bar, volunteering at the Lawrence Humane Society here and there, and simply running her own small business. Okay maybe not...

Jennifer Salva

By Cherilyn Farris
May 1, 2014 - 8:25am

KU’s very own Jennifer Salva is, in fact, Katniss Everdeen in true form. She camps, hunts, fishes, wields a compound bow and advocates for those who cannot always do so for themselves. She also happens to be Miss Topeka. READ MORE