Campus Cutie: Brandon True ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
                                                                                 All photos are courtesy of Brandon True, featured above.
Name: Brandon True

Age: 19

Major: Pharmaceutical Sciences, with a Minor In Economics

Relationship Status: Single

Extracurricular Activities: I’m the President of SAE, I’m a Student Senator representing the College of Liberal Arts (Serving on the Student Rights committee, as well as the Recreational Advisory Board). I manage the Hawk Shop in the Underground. I work at the Cave and just recently joined College Republicans. On the side, I’m an avid runner and investor. (Diverse interests, right?)

Favorite Color: It was a tough decision but I finally decided that I like orange more than green (Green having been the frontrunner for years). It’s bright and optimistic without being too over the top or obnoxious. 

Dream Date: It’s always the River Market in Kansas City (those of you that have been there know what I’m talking about). There’s this square in downtown KCMO where they have a whole bunch of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores, and they keep a farmer’s market going year round. If you’re feeling Ethiopian, the Blue Nile is a good choice for lunch or dinner, or if you want to play it safe with Chinese, they’ve got Bo Lings too. You could definitely spend the better part of the afternoon down here, would definitely recommend.

Worst Date: Netflix and Chill, just don’t. Fellas, put a little more effort in, you’re better than that.

What’s your favorite type of sandwich?: If we’re talking place, I’m definitely a Yello Sub guy. If it’s type of sandwich, it’s always something toasted, cold sandwiches are just so boring. I don’t think anyone has every woken up in the morning and said “You know what sounds really good for lunch today? A cold turkey sandwich.” Nope. Never. Whether that be a BBQ sandwich or a chicken parmesan isn’t really as important, it’s the temperature. Who knew?

Where do you see yourself 10 years down the road?: I want to get involved in nuclear pharmaceuticals, which are pretty much cancer detection drugs. You take a molecule of something like glucose and tag it with some radioactive isotopes, and then have a cancer patient ingest it. You’ll then scan the area of interest for any discrepancies in the utilization of glucose when compared to a normal, noncancerous patient to determine if there is any potential tumor growth. It’s some really cool stuff, and whether I’m producing, researching, or administering it doesn’t really matter too much to me.

Describe your dream gal: Well, first off she has to be smart and driven, with her priorities in the right place. She has to have a plan and high ambitions, and making progress towards those goals. I cannot stress enough how important that is. Second off, she needs to be opinionated and be able to back up those opinions. Being passionate about issues is huge (and awesome), but being informed on those issues on top of that? Wow, dream girl right there. Being involved and having interests is also extremely important, it shows you’re making the most of your time in college. So, to sum it up, my dream girl is smart, opinionated and involved, and I guess it’d be good if she was pretty too. 

What’s your favorite thing about being a Jayhawk?: All the opportunities you’re given, and the support you need to succeed. As long as you’re willing to put in the work, you can thrive, and be so prepared for life after college. I’m so happy with my college experience already, and I’ve only been here for a year. I can’t imagine what the next five look like, but I am so optimistic.