This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

A true Jayhawk embodies everything our university stands for: individual growth, learning, community service and being a well-rounded individual. Jadon Beck is definitely a Jayhawk, paving his way to a successful career through challenging classes, extracurricular activities and volunteer work. Jadon is doing some great things in LFK.   

Name: Jadon Beck

Age: 20

Hometown: Junction City

Expected KU Graduation Year: 2017

Major (and minor, if applicable): Sociology, Pre Medicine

What made you chose your major?

I was originally a chemistry major when I first came to KU due to being a pre medicine student. However, one of the subjects that is questioned on the MCAT is sociology. Sociology 104 is a recommended class and I fell in love sociology after taking the class. Sociology allows you understand society and everyday interactions from a completely different perspective and gives you that “aha” moment to understanding the background to these different interactions that happen around us every day.

As the oldest child, what was the scariest thing about transitioning to KU?

The scariest thing was not really knowing that much about the college experience as a whole. My parents never completed a bachelor’s degree and only went to small colleges for associate degrees, so coming to a university as large as KU was a whole new experience. I wasn’t really given advice on what to expect and had to experience it all for myself and roll with the punches sometimes. However, even though this may sound bad at first it was sometimes a blessing because everything I have done while at KU has been because it was something I was interested in or wanted to be involved with and not based off what someone else has told me.

Jadon’s brothers: Jace (left) and Jaron (middle), pictured with Jadon (right).

I know you’re pretty involved on campus. What are some activities you participate in?

I am currently hold the homecoming chair position within my fraternity Alpha Tau Omega. I am in charge of finding a partner sorority for homecoming and planning out the activities of homecoming in order to give us the biggest chance of winning overall at the end of the week. Within Alpha Tau Omega I also help a lot with recruitment into our great organization. Besides Alpha Tau Omega, I am also a co-director of recruitment and morale for KU Dance Marathon. This means that along with my fellow co-directors, we are in charge of recruitment efforts all event that KUDM hosts, along with creating and teaching the morale dance at this year’s marathon on Dec. 5 to all committee members and participants.

Jadon, (middle, standing) pictured with fellow committee members.

What does KUDM mean to you?

KUDM is better described as FTK, which is a slogan that dance marathons across the country use which means “For the Kids,” because at the end of the day, all the hard work and effort that we put in is FTK. I have been involved with KUDM since freshman year starting as a participant, to becoming a committee member to now being a co-director. KUDM has a very special place in my heart because I am able to raise funds, dance and stand for all the children who were not as fortunate as I was to normal, healthy child. Being healthy throughout our childhood makes us take a lot for granted that the children that we raise money for at KU pediatrics, which is our local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, don’t get experience. These children have to fight cancer and stay in a hospital instead of getting to celebrate their birthday with a party that all their friends come to. They worry about another surgery instead of staying up all night Christmas Eve thinking about what presents wait for them in the morning. They are all so young, fighting battles that I can’t imagine. KUDM and FTK means standing up and helping financially fundraise to help support the families fighting these battles of our local Children’s Miracle Network. If you want to find out more about this amazing organization there is a lot more information on KUDM.org and you can even experience it for yourself by signing up for KUThon on Dec. 5!

What allowed you to find your niche on campus?

What really allowed me to find my niche on campus was my fraternity. Alpha Tau Omega has opened so many doors for me and I would not be the KU student that I am today without it. Besides being a source of new friends on campus, it has led me to the organizations such as KUDM that I am involved with today.

What is your favorite KU Tradition?

The best KU tradition definitely has to be KU basketball. It is the only thing I would get up at 6 a.m. for to go to lottery at the Fieldhouse and hope that my camping group pulls a great number that coming game. Then comes that actual camping, having a rotation of people within your camping group to sit for hours within Allen Fieldhouse to make sure you group never misses a roll call, which will send you to the bottom of the list. Doing all this can eventually lead to front row seats to the games such as West Virginia game last year and getting to cheer our basketball team on to victory even through overtime!

Being a Jayhawk is about creating a better life, not only for yourself, but perhaps most importantly, someone else. Jadon undoubtedly fits the definition of what it means to be a Jayhawk. He has always inspired me with his positivity, work ethic and giving heart. Keep on giving your all and giving back, Jadon!