Brothers: Can’t Live with Them, Can’t Live Without Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Boys are interesting human beings, especially when you are forced to grow up with them and live in the same household. If you were lucky/unlucky enough to grow up with brothers, then you’ll relate to these stereotypes that are more often than not true for most sisters. Every advantage of having a brother or many brothers may eventually turn into a disadvantage, and every disadvantage of brothers may turn into an advantage.

Sports:

Pro: Stereotypically, boys live for the game. Every Saturday and Sunday at my house in the fall/winter, football is constantly on the TV (even if no one is home). At first, I used to refuse to watch, but eventually I would sit on the couch and watch the game with my brothers. Therefore, I learned and know too much about professional sports and the players. When my guy friends chat about the NFL, NBA or any other professional sports league, I can keep up and contribute to their sport talk. Because of growing up with brothers, you will receive respect for this sport’s knowledge. Another brother benefit is that they will gladly run around outside and play soccer, basketball, football, hockey, baseball, etc. They will play anything that involves running, competition and sweat. By playing and practicing sports with your brothers, your skill will improve dramatically and you won’t be afraid to be extra aggressive at your own games.

Con: You may have worn sport jerseys and hats more than the other little girls in your second grade class. This habit of yours has been infused into your style today as you rep your favorite team most days around campus.

Beauty Skills:

Con: Because boys typically don’t have long hair or the urge to make their eyelashes look longer, brothers are not a great source for beauty advice. If you grow up with only brothers, then you’re beauty skills may be lacking. A ponytail is most likely your favorite hairstyle not only because it’s cute, but mostly because it’s easy and the only hairstyle you can do to yourself. A lack of makeup skills also comes along with having brothers. You can’t go to them for advice about what lipstick color looks best with your skin tone, or worse, how to apply lipstick sufficiently.

Pro: On the contrary, brothers may influence a more laid back style and make you appreciate natural beauty. Your makeup and hair may not look perfect all the time but you’ll develop a chill style. Girls with sisters can share and borrow cute clothes with each other but the same is true for girls with brothers. Although most of the clothes you borrow consist of large sweatshirts and jerseys, you will have more “swag” than the other girls who don’t have access to a boy’s closet. Dressing like your brothers or just like boys in general seems acceptable all the time.

Toughen Up:

Con: Physical violence, wrestling and fighting for fun seem to be a favorite pastime for many boys. It doesn’t matter that you are not the same size or strength as your much older brother, he might push you around a bit or even start “fun fights.” When I was little, my older brother used to punch my arm repeatedly until I got off the computer. (He just wanted to instant message his friends on AIM.) It didn’t bother him at all that my arm was bruised or that I tattled on him every time.

Pro: Although getting beat up by your brothers can be painful, it also teaches you to be tough and not back down from a fight, whether physically or verbally. It also may give you a thick skin especially when girls are being rude and need to be put in their place.

Friends:

Pro: Brothers typically tend to have other male friends. If you’re lucky, they might be really cool and attractive and want to be friends with you as well as your brother. Then, at school or in public, lots of handsome males are saying hi to you and therefore, giving you some street cred with your friends.

Con: One main downside of your older brother having hot friends is the nickname that may be given to you starting at a young age and following you through the rest of your life. “Hi little Billy!” Not cool. Plus those nicknames will not help you become friendly friends with your brother’s friends.

Protective:

Pro: Brothers always have your back. It doesn’t matter if you fight all the time and hate everything about each other, when you need help, your brother will be there to back you up. I’ve learned that whenever I am in a tricky situation or just need some wise advice (not from my parents), I call my older brother and I am always reassured that everything will be okay.

Con: A protective brother can potentially be a major blessing when you get into trouble, but he may also become overbearing. Your brother may become too protective when it comes to having a boyfriend and then your brother may try to scare him off if he doesn’t meet his own personal standards. It might get annoying but you must remember that your brother loves you and is just looking out for you.