Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

KU Blog

Finding Your Inner Rory Gilmore- The Best Study Locales in Town

By Erica Richardson
September 16, 2014 - 8:00am

With the semester just getting started, many of us are reminded that school takes a lot of work and time. Studying doesn't have to be completely boring though; check out my four favorite places to get some work done but also enjoy my day. READ MORE

5 Ways To Survive Being Sick in College

By Megan Tiger
September 15, 2014 - 8:00am

Ahh! The seasons are changing, and with winter fast approaching, the common cold is hitting college campuses like the plague. It's that in between season when sniffling is as common as "hello," and your roomate won't come near you because NO, she will not get sick. Being sick in college is the absolute worst... like hello, where is your mother? After dramatically laying ill in my bed all week I felt it was only fair of me to help my fellow Collegiettes™ out. To ease the pain, here are five ways to get you back out on the playing field in no time. 1.     Sleep: God’s gift to earth. Sleep as much as possible. One of the few benefits to being sick is that naps are basically required. READ MORE
...

What's So Wrong With Being Alone?

By Megan Tiger
September 12, 2014 - 12:56pm

In the midst of my procrastination this week, I fell down the rabbit hole called "the internet" and stumbled across a YouTube video that got me thinking. You might have seen it floating around social media this week. It is a poem preformed by Tayna Davis entitled, “How To Be Alone.” It really made me think: are we ever really alone? I can’t seem to think of the last time I sat down and was completely alone with just my thoughts. My phone is practically attached to my hand; if by chance I am alone eating lunch or waiting for class to start I’m checking my email or scrolling through Twitter. We lead such busy and technology-heavy lives, it feels impossible to escape our realities. READ MORE

7 Reasons Why Every Girl Needs Her Other Half

By Callie Byrnes
September 11, 2014 - 8:00am

Every girl will go through many different kinds of friends throughout their lives– the drama makers, the party friends, the secret keepers, the girls who are basically you in another body. The list goes on and on. And while every kind of friend is equally valuable, I am a firm believer that every girl could benefit from something I like to call the “other half” –and no, I don’t mean a significant other. The other half is a friend who, when it comes right down to it, is nothing like you. You have different interests, different values and different lifestyles altogether. This may sound like the recipe for disaster, but the truth is, when it works, it really works. You two are the embodiment of the phrase “two sides of the same coin.”...

6 Timeless Childhood Memories

By Emily Johanek
September 10, 2014 - 8:00am

I still consider myself a child. For the past couple of summers, I have been a nanny for a family with four children. I’ve also been a babysitter since it was legal to leave a young preteen home with small children. I’ve learned a lot, but mostly to just have fun. I definitely have just as much fun as the kids when we play Uno, freeze tag, Legos, or whatever it may be. Soon enough, these childhood games and memories become "uncool” or “childish.” I’m here to remind you that these pastimes are and always will be timeless childhood memories. READ MORE

4 Reasons Why Jealousy isn’t For You

By Shelby Ostrom
September 9, 2014 - 10:47am

Hello again all of my lovely readers, I hope I’m getting the hang of this blog thing, yeah? Yeah, that’s probably not true, but if you guys stick with me, I’m pretty sure I’ll get better. So, I wanted to talk to you all today about something that has been really bothering me lately, and that is jealousy and anger. Yeah, you all are probably thinking that I’m just here to complain about why I hate other people doing it to me and blah blah. But, in reality, I’m here to talk to you all about why I shouldn’t be jealous and you shouldn’t be either. READ MORE

Fatshion: Wearing Whatever You Want

By Leah Albee
September 6, 2014 - 2:03pm

Countless articles in fashion magazines from Vogue to Seventeen sell this idea to fat women that their ultimate goal is to be skinny (or at the very least to look skinny; fake it until you make it, right?)—as if being fat is the worst thing a person could possibly be. To quote J. K. Rowling, “is ‘fat’ really the worst thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’ or ‘cruel’?”  There are “rules of dress” for fat girls. READ MORE

7 Ways to Survive "Sorority Girl Disease"

By Kaitlin Obermeyer
September 5, 2014 - 12:02pm

To all you girls out there who enjoy a nice cup of Starbucks coffee, you have probably been scrutinized for it. “Sorority girl disease” is a term thrown around geared towards all those Greek women. Someone with “Sorority Girl Disease” probably has on sorority letters that go down past her “Norts” (that’s slang for Nike shorts), is walking down the street in a “Srat Pack”, and carrying a Starbucks cup. We’ve all done it. Here is how to handle it. 1. Don’t let the man behind the counter who knows your order let you think that you have an addiction. Maybe he thinks you’re cute. 2. Try to stray away from the Venti Soy Iced Vanilla Latte with no whip cream and get something different. Or just get the whipped cream. Live a little. ...

The Freshman Falls

By Megan Tiger
September 4, 2014 - 8:00am

YIKES fall semester has started… how did summer fly that fast? Right now I can assure you I am SO excited to be back in Lawrence, but a year ago times were very different.  Going into my freshman year I was nervous and extremely anxious. I was moving nine hours away to a place where I knew absolutely no one. Looking back on it now, freshman year was the most exciting year of my life and what comes with the ups are the downs- and by downs I means falls.  READ MORE

Five Ways to Deal with Your Shopping Addiction

By Callie Byrnes
September 3, 2014 - 10:27am

Classes are in session, homework is piling up and new resolutions to study and drink less on Sunday nights are coming into play–at least, that’s what we’re telling ourselves. What better time to start making changes than the new school year? It’s a time to break old habits and start new ones. There are a lot of bad habits to work on this year, but my worst one has to do with what every college student agonizes over for most of his or her educational career: money. It affects everything we do–how many classes we take, what we eat, what we do in our free time, how many jobs we commit ourselves to during the semester. Money is the college kid’s kryptonite, and today, I want to tackle a problem that has haunted me since I started receiving an allowance back...