Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

KU Blog

How to Make the Most of Your Meal Plan

By Lilimay Bangoy
August 21, 2014 - 12:47pm

It's time for freshman move-in day, which means lots of time eating on campus!  Now, as a freshman, I made my fair share of mistakes when it came to my meal plan, but I’ve learned and I’m going to share some of my sage advice with all of you!  Freshies especially, I don’t want you to end up with no meals and an empty wallet at the end of the semester, so listen up. 1. Pick your meal plan wisely READ MORE

A Playlist for an Incoming Freshman

By s883t856
August 17, 2014 - 12:24pm

Being a college freshman, something I really struggled with was my confidence. I was in a new place, surrounded by new people and doing new things. I was entirely out of my comfort zone but quickly discovered who I was as a person. I am no longer the girl I was in high school and I attribute that entirely to being at a position in my life where I can truly explore my beliefs, who I am and what I want. Before I left the house every morning, my mom would send me off to school and say, “Know who you are and what you stand for.” Although I thought I knew what the phrase meant, I had a very shallow understanding until I was able to leave the nest. READ MORE

Why We Should All Come Out

By Callie Byrnes
July 30, 2014 - 12:23pm

Today I’m taking the chance to come out… as a feminist. Okay, cue the rolling of the eyes, either because using the phrase “come out” was kind of a cheap trick to get attention or because… well… you know. Feminism. READ MORE

Book Review: Mrs. Poe

By Laura Lyndall Fagen
July 18, 2014 - 12:37pm

This weekend, I attended the Her Campus InterCollegiatte Conference. This experience was amazing and I'm sure you're going to see some more posts about all of the fun that Her Campus KU had! One thing that made the conference even better was the awesome goodie bags that each attendee received. Included in these bags were Milani make up, Bobble water bottles, Luna Bars and books. One book that everyone received was "Mrs. Poe" by Lynn Cullen. READ MORE

Studying Abroad in America's Heartland

By Sue Redican
May 29, 2014 - 6:34pm

This summer is one for the ages, I think. Wake up, go to the beach, eat a gourmet meal, sip on a fancy drink and explore native night life. Of course you’re probably wondering where I’m studying abroad at for this summer, and, to be frank, it tops all of the top seven places you should visit in the world while travelling: Lawrence, Kansas. Yeah, that’s right. My summer is being spent right here in America’s heartland, happily wasting away in the Midwestern humidity. READ MORE

Every End Is A New Beginning

By Brea Cudney
May 15, 2014 - 8:00am

Would you look at that. Graduation is just around the corner. With final exams, papers and projects nearing their end, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I remember a feeling quite similar to the one I’m experiencing right now, during my final week of high school. I thought the day I would graduate would never come. Everyone tells us these days go by so fast, and like always, they were right. READ MORE

Thank you Mom

By Cailey Taylor
May 12, 2014 - 5:04pm

As a little girl, I dreamed of being a doctor, an actress, a veterinarian. I knew I could achieve whatever I wanted, never did I think anything would come between that. My mother always pushed me to follow my dreams. She worked hard to make sure I got good grades, got involved and went to college. She worked hard along side my dad to make sure we always had the best clothes, the newest toys and we were always happy. It wasn’t until I went to college I realized just how much my mother truly loved me. READ MORE

What Adoption Has Taught Me

By Justine Powls
May 8, 2014 - 10:00am

This is the very first time I’ve publicly acknowledged that I was adopted, other than to family or friends. Don’t get me wrong, it’s only because I don’t really notice and those who know me don’t notice either. It’s never been a big deal for the important people in my life and that’s great. For this article I will be referring to my birth family, as of course, “birth family,” and my adoptive family as “family,” because that’s what they are, blood relatives or not. READ MORE

Life In Color: Concert Tips

By Kaitlin Obermeyer
May 7, 2014 - 1:51pm

If you’ve never been to Life In Color, it’s time to add it to your bucket list. Life In Color is a paint party concert usually featuring trap music groups and DJs. Even if that genre is not your cup of tea, the experience is incredible. On April 26, I went to the lovely town of Columbia, Mo., to see Cash Cash, Carnage and Candyland. I knew I had to take pictures so I bought a throw away camera. Throughout the concert paint is shot from hoses and canons, soaking the crowd. Paint bottles are even available for sale to squirt on people. I was covered from head to toe in paint and water. As a designer and artist, being completely covered in paint was a wonderful sensation. It was the most disgusting and beautiful thing I have ever experienced....

Recap: I want to SPARK _____.

By Minseon Sunny Kim
May 6, 2014 - 10:05am

On Friday, SPARK* KU hosted an evening featuring performers and seven speakers with its mission to ignite all possibilities. As one of the staff members for this organization, I was able to hear inspiration talks from speakers and actually make this event happen. I am one of those people who set inspirational quotes as their phone background.  As much as I love being inspired and motivated, it was such a great opportunity for me to be part of this team. Here is the summary I wrote about each talk from the speakers. READ MORE