This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Spotify is gaining a lot of popularity as the end-all, be-all music application for anyone and everyone. You can stream music, create playlists, use their genius radio and follow what your Facebook friends are listening to. I have Spotify Premium and absolutely love it, so I’m going to give you the pros and cons of what I’ve seen from using Spotify and leave the rest up to you.

1.    You can download it: You can download it not only on your phone, but also on your desktop. The nice thing about this is that it’s one less tab to bog down your web browser.

2.    Genius Radio vs. Pandora: I will definitely argue that I still listen to Pandora when I’m in the mood to just let the radio roll. I often feel like my Spotify radio stations turn into a melting pot of pop after awhile and don’t capture the specific genre I’m looking for.

3.    The Playlists: Because you can stream music, you can also create awesome playlists. I have playlists for getting ready, parties, studying, etc. You can also subscribe to other user’s playlists if you’re feeling too lazy to create your own.

4.    You can follow your FB friends: If you feel as though you’re constantly listening to the same stuff, check out what some of your friends are listening to. There’s a scrolling bar on the right side of your computer app that tells you what your friends are into.

5.    The Ads: I will argue that Spotify tends to have less ads than YouTube or Pandora, but they can be lengthy and nobody likes ads.

6.    The Free Version: With the free version, you can stream and create playlists on your computer, but your phone is limited to genius radio and both endure the ads. It’s not a bad deal.

7.    Spotify Premium: I am a believer in the magic of Spotify Premium. This allows you to have full access to everything that the computer app can do on your phone, tablet, etc. It also removes the ads and costs $9.99/month, need I say more?

8.    The Student Discount: Students get Spotify Premium for $4.99/month. Yep, this got me, too. I haven’t downloaded music from iTunes in over six months. 

9.    Your Phone and Tablet: Spotify is a definite battery killer and it also uses a lot of data, so keep your eyes peeled. The nice thing is if you’re listening on campus, we’re almost always covered with WiFi so you won’t be burning through your data.

I decided to “take it to the streets” and ask one of our very own what she thinks about Spotify, so you weren’t just getting my account. Amanda Wilson (@amandamarie7406) a sophomore said, “Spotify let’s me create my own playlist. There’s no need for the next button because I always love what I’m hearing.”

I would definitely recommend you check it out, in the long run I am sure I’ll be saving a ton of money on my music and it’s overall really convenient.