sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Be YOU This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I think, in general, everyone has happy memories of Halloween growing up, unless you are one of those people who hates anything scary and are scarred for life. Halloween used to be about having the best costume on the block and getting the best treats. But somewhere down the line, right before college, that seemed to change, and Halloween turned into a contest of who can wear the most revaling costume.

Before you roll your eyes at this feminist rant, I promise it’s not that bad. I am totally down for the creative, funny, clever, even sexy costumes of this lovely holiday. I’m not even suggesting all girls need to be covered head-to-toe with fabric. Hey, flaunt it if you got it. But come on, is it necessary to dress slutty because “In girl world, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it” (thanks Mean Girls)? I just think as a girl living in the 21st century we should be able to have some respect for ourself and not feel pressured in to wearing something sexy because it is what’s expected.  Have some respect for yourself girls. You are beautiful, and don’t EVER think that you need to be a sexy (insert ANYTHING in here) to get attention. Embrace the holiday and HAVE FUN. Who doesn’t love to dress up? And whatever you decide to wear feel confident in it, and work it girrrrrrrl!

And one more thing: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

Native East Coaster but born and raised all over this beautiful world. A lover of photography, traveling, a good story, and of course social media. You can always find me studying Journalism and Global and International Studies while day dreaming up a new adventure.