Barack Chalk: Obama Visits Kansas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Absolutely nothing tops the first week of classes like having the President of the United States attend your college. 

Students began to camp outside of Anschutz Sports Pavilion as early as 1:30 a.m. to get a close look at President Barack Obama. Doors opened at 8:30 a.m. Thursday morning to give the audience as many can call a “once in a lifetime” opportunity.

After several hours of waiting anxiously and chanting, along with applauding to traditional songs played by University of Kansas band, the event began.

An introduction by Alyssa Cole, a senior studying History and African-American Studies and a single mother of three children. Cole wrote to President Obama back in 2013 addressing affordable childcare, education, and the struggle of balancing the two.

“I was almost forced to make the choice between obtaining an education, working or taking care of my children.” Cole said

Following, Cole’s opening remarks, Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little roared up the crowd by pointing out several facts about KU, announcing what an honor it is to have the President of the United States at the University of Kansas, and of course, chanting the trending chant,  “Barack Chalk, Jayhawk!”

President Obama was greeted by a strong applause of over 7,000 people.

He began by sharing the time he spent with Coach Bill Self and the men’s basketball team. He then thanked Chancellor Gray-Little, Lawrence Mayor Mike Amyx, Bob Dole and the Dole Center for Politics.

Next, Obama began to speak on his personal roots to Kansas.

“I’m a Kansas guy,” Obama said. His mother was born in Wichita, grandmother grew up in Augusta, and grandfather in El Dorado.

Obama’s topics on Middle Class Economics was continued from the State of the Union speech given on Tuesday.

He began by mentioning facts such as our troops coming home, shrinking deficits, and our economy creating jobs at its fastest rate since 1999.

Obama elaborated on middle class economy, decreasing student debt, free community college, helping families feel more secure, assistance in childcare, equal pay for men and women and having a competitive economy in order to keep the momentum going.

After addressing main topics and current issues he shared a story of a Lawrence resident, Steve Ozart.

Steve Ozart wrote a letter to the President last year mentioning his vision for the country.

Twenty-five years ago, Steve and his girlfriend (now wife), lived paycheck to paycheck, had a baby on the way and took out loans so that his wife could attend college. Something that many of any of us can relate to currently.

Today, Ozart spends time helping families in the community find a place at their table.

“That’s what God and grandma taught us to do,” Ozart said.

Obama follows Ozart’s story and ends by saying,

“Whoever we are. Republican or Democrat. Male, female, young, black, white, gay or straight. We all share a common vision for our future. We all want a better country for your generation…We’ve got a new future to write. The young people here are gonna write a new future for America. Let’s get started right now.”