Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

KU Archives

The Lowdown on Lawrence Restaurant Week

By Lilimay Bangoy
September 17, 2014 - 7:50pm

This week marks the beginning of the first Lawrence Restaurant Week! For those of you who don’t know what it is, its basically an event where several restaurants around Downtown Lawrence are offering discounts, special items, or prix fixe (pre-fixed) menus consisting of dishes that they normally don’t offer on their regular menus. It’s the first time that something like this has happened in Lawrence, and it’s an opportunity for the chefs at these restaurants to show how creative and skilled they are at their craft, so it’s honestly worth checking out! If you’re looking for things to do on a date or a night out with your friends, all the more reason to go and try some exciting new food!   READ MORE...

Avoid the Weight of a New Semester

By Kelsey Stoskopf
September 17, 2014 - 8:00am

We’re three weeks into the semester which means syllabus week has come and gone, the school work is starting to pile up and our days get filled with other things like jobs and clubs. With the semester punching you in the face with full force it is easy to let some things slip. The easiest thing to put on the back burner? One of your most important priorities, yourself.  These seven steps will help push the weight away and help keep your body, mind and sanity under wraps. READ MORE

Newly Legal Cutie: Andrea Conover '15

By Keertana Chary
September 17, 2014 - 8:00am

Name: Andrea Conover  Twitter: @andreaconover Age: 21 Year: Senior Major: Finance Hometown: Castle Rock, Colorado Relationship Status: Single Describe yourself in three words: Easy going, optimistic, friendly Favorite movie: "Pretty Woman" Favorite pizza topping: Prosciutto Favorite bar in Lawrence: Brothers READ MORE

The Difference Between a Compliment and a Catcall

By Callie Byrnes
September 17, 2014 - 8:00am

What girl hasn’t been honked at, yelled at, or whistled at when walking down the street? It’s a tale as old as time, and we’ve all probably had at least one run-in with it. It starts sometime around when we begin developing in middle school and pretty much never stops from there. Some women find it as a source of empowerment; other women, like me, can’t help but feel uncomfortable with the unwanted attention. And no, it’s not because I’m insecure or because I can’t take a compliment, but that’s the thing. Catcalling isn’t a compliment. READ MORE

TJ Blake

By Emily Lenherr
September 16, 2014 - 8:00am

TJ Blake will surely change the world one day. Any time spent with TJ will confirm this idea for sure. There’s something about his passion, his excitement for the future, the way his eyes glow when he’s truly devoted to something that makes him seem invincible. As a journalism and political science major, TJ is committed to standing up for those who deserve it most. With his extracurricular time, TJ is committed to his position on Student Senate, Student Union Activities work, University Events Committee, Alterative Breaks, the Honors Program and Hawks Helping Hawks. To top it all off, TJ also interns and works at the Kansas Union as an Event Services Coordinator. READ MORE

Finding Your Inner Rory Gilmore- The Best Study Locales in Town

By Erica Richardson
September 16, 2014 - 8:00am

With the semester just getting started, many of us are reminded that school takes a lot of work and time. Studying doesn't have to be completely boring though; check out my four favorite places to get some work done but also enjoy my day. READ MORE

Offbeat Elective: West African Drum Ensemble

By Devan Schaly
September 16, 2014 - 8:00am

Are you looking for an elective a little outside of the box? Or maybe you're a music major looking for an ensemble credit that will allow you to play something other than the same old instrument you've played since the sixth grade. In that case, I may have the class for you. It's called West African Drum Ensemble! I first heard about this class during my time as an introductory music therapy major last year, but unfortunately have not had the pleasure of taking it (but that won't stop me from advocating for it and hopefully getting the opportunity to take it). Dylan Bassett, the instructor of the course, was able to give me some insight on his background in West African music, how the course is set up and what his goals are for the class....

5 Returning Fall TV Shows

By Jordan MacGillivray
September 15, 2014 - 12:23pm

With the upcoming season quickly approaching, there are many exciting things we are all looking forward to: Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Lattes, sweater weather, no more boob sweat walking to class, and of course, my personal favorite, the return of many fall shows! I know many of you are excited to stay in on Fridays and catch up on the latest and greatest episodes, so it’s time to get your DVR ready for some amazing television time. (Spoiler warning from past seasons!!) Scandal (ABC) Premiere: Thursday, Sept. 25 READ MORE

4 Reasons Why You Should Be Shopping at Plato’s Closet Lawrence This Fall

By Maya Porter
September 15, 2014 - 12:22pm

Have you ever dreamt of a place where you could get the latest fashion items at a discounted price? Do you wish you could clear out your closet, find some items you are willing to part with and trade them in for new pieces? Is your college student budget holding you back from having your dream closet? Well dream no longer and get yourself to Plato’s Closet in Lawrence as a fast as you can. READ MORE

Radwan Dayib'16

By Caroline Kane
September 15, 2014 - 8:00am

Name: Radwan Dayib Twitter Handle: @radwandayib Major: Journalism Hometown: Born in Somalia, but grew up in Emporia Relationship Status: Single “as a pringle” When did you come to America? In 2000, I moved from India, where I was born, to Chicago. When did you become an American citizen officially? In 2005 through my parents.  My parents were naturalized. READ MORE