7 TV Shows That Should Not Have Been Cancelled

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I think, perhaps, the worst feeling in the world is getting snuggled up under a nice, warm blanket preparing to start the next season of your newest obsession on Netflix—only to realize that there is no next season. The show has been cancelled. As in, there will be no new episodes. Ever. All of those characters you adored? Gone. The answers to that one plot hole? Nonexistent. We’ve all experienced the feeling that follows. The sadness, the anger, the confusion, the absolute HORROR. This is a list that may give you those same feelings. Without further ado, here are the shows, in no particular order, that absolutely, without a doubt, should not have been cancelled.

——-

Freaks & Geeks (1999-2000)

Okay, this one really, really baffles me, as I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love this show. Or, in the very least, I haven’t met anyone who hasn’t heard of this show. With its quirky characters and self-deprecating humor, it’s one of television’s greatest mysteries as to how this show was cancelled. Why didn’t the teenagers of the late 90s give Freaks & Geeks the love and support it deserves? Shame on you, millennials.

The Secret Circle (2011-2012)

The Secret Circle is what I like to call the forgotten, hidden gem of the CW Network. It is based off of a book series by the same author as the wildly popular Vampire Diaries, L.J. Smith, and yet, it did not get near as much recognition (even though the characters were better and the plot was much stronger than TVD, but that’s none of my business). The Secret Circle follows a group of teenagers who harbor secret, connecting powers and, wow, do things heat up fast. The first season is an absolute rollercoaster ride, ending on one of the most exciting/frustrating/nerve-wracking cliff hangers, ever. But, we’ll never know how the story ends because the CW cancelled it after the first season. Such a shame. It’s been five years, and I’m still holding out hope that this show will get picked back up. It’s not a useless dream, right? Right?!

The Borgias (2011-2013)

To this day, my biggest issue with my peers is that we dropped the ball on this one—this show did not get enough recognition. The Borgias is a historical drama that follows the “original crime family”, the Borgias, through the early 16th century in Italy, with a crime ring that leads all the way up to the Pope himself. And, you guys, it is so good. Like, all-consuming, stay-up-all-night-binging good. But, tragically, it was cancelled. My heart still has a crack that can’t be fixed in it from this one. Thanks for nothing (but also everything), Showtime producers.

Stalker (2014-2015)

Now, I have never actually seen an episode of Stalker. Now before you call me a fake fan and come at me with pitch forks, let me explain. I may have never seen Stalker, but I have it on good authority from a trusted source that this show absolutely should not have been cancelled after the first season. I mean, a crime show about the people who are victims of stalking? Sounds worthy of a renewal to me!!

The Following (2013-2015)

The Following is a crime drama that focuses on the following of an infamous serial killer, and the detective trying to stop him. It’s fast-paced, dark, twisty, intense, and pretty much every other desired adjective you would look for in your next binge-worthy show. The only downside to this show is that it ends too soon. Way too soon.

Sense8 (2015-2018)

Alright, this one is just plain infuriating. Sense8 is a Netflix Original science-fiction series that was cancelled after its second season, only to be finished with a wrap-up two-hour special coming in 2018. This show is most beloved for its motley cast of people of all races, genders, and sexualities. Accompany that phenomenal cast with a downright heart-pumping plot line and you’ve got one hell of a show. And it was still cancelled?! I need to have a serious talk with the Netflix producers.

The Get Down (2016-2017)

Oh man. This show. The Get Down is another less mainstream Netflix Original musical drama series that follows a group of African-American teenagers in New York City in the 1970s. Through their eyes, we see the birth of hip-hop and disco music and, let me tell you, it is funky– The Get Down literally makes you want to get down. Now, if only there were more than six episodes… I’m talking to you, again, Netflix producers. You are on my list.