7 Things About Greek Life You Didn’t Consider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. It’s not all about partying. Greeks raise about 7 million dollars a year for charity. Every chapter in the Greek system has a charity they raise money for.

2. We do our own finances. Being in a chapter can be compared to a business. There are different positions and each position has its own job. We all work together to make our chapter work. On the flip side though, if you don’t pay your rent, you are kicked out of the chapter. It’s not far off from real life.

3. We don’t wear leggings and tennis shoes everyday. Although this is a pretty prominent style on campus, we actually do have jeans and dress pants. Being in a chapter is like a business. This means that sometimes you have to dress like you are going to work. Dress pants and a blazer will be found in every sorority woman’s closet. 

Lyndsey Horner (right, @lyndsey_horner) and Dalton Kissinger (left, @kudalton16)

4. We have real problems. I know many people think that sorority women sit around paint their toenails and share their feelings all day. That’s not true. Chapters have reserve funds for unfortunate reasons such as house fires, bankruptcy, and illnesses of members. And sometimes we have to use it. 

5. Being in a Greek chapter does not mean you are buying your friends. The system actually works. Everyone, in the Greek system or not, has to pay rent. Paying rent is not buying friends. Everyone in his or her Greek chapter chose to be there.

Carban Wehr (right, @corbs_wehrd), Katie Walter (center, @KWalt30) and Bailey Nairn (right, @baileynairn)

6. Scholarship is very important. 71% of Greeks graduate while only 50% of non-Greeks graduate. Each chapter has a set GPA, if you don’t make the cut you are out. We are here first and foremost for school.

7. The stereotypes are not true. They are made up of words that happen to rhyme with the chapter name.