7 Movie Quotes Essential to Everyday Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Whether you’re at a party, in class or hanging with your grandparents, a level of common knowledge and wit is necessary for survival. Throughout my life, I have witnessed many awkward moments when a person does not understand or respect a perfectly recited movie quote. There are the great movie quotes that everyone of all ages knows: the timeless quotes. Here are a few that our generation especially needs to know, love and utilize in everyday conversation.

1. Mean Girls                

Gretchen: Regina, you’re wearing sweatpants. It’s Monday.

Regina: So…?

Karen: So that’s against the rules, and you can’t sit with us.

Regina: Whatever. Those rules aren’t real.

Karen: They were real that day I wore a vest!

Regina: Because that vest was disgusting!

Gretchen: You can’t sit with us!   

Best quoted: When you are joking with your friend at the dinner table or when you really don’t want someone to sit with you.

2. The Hangover     

Alan: Hello. How ’bout that ride in? I guess that’s why they call it Sin City.

[awkward laughter]

Alan: You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack… it grew by one. So there… there were two of us in the wolf pack. I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, “Wait a second, could it be?” And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast!   

Best quoted: When you are having a (possibly intoxicated) bro talk/heart-to-heart with your best friends.

3. Bridesmaids

Annie: [after Helen insists the flight attendant allow Annie to use her first class seat] Help me, I’m poor.                     

Best quoted: Being a broke college student, this quote can be used multiple times daily.

4. Forrest Gump

Jenny: Run, Forrest! Run!            

Best quoted: When you see someone running on the side of the road or during a track meet.

5. Sandlot

Ham: Hey, Smalls, you wanna s’more?

Smalls: Some more of what?

Ham: No, do you wanna s’more?

Smalls: I haven’t had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?

Ham: You’re killing me Smalls! These are s’mores stuff! Okay, pay attention. First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the ‘mallow. When the ‘mallow’s flaming… you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good! Try some!                                

Best quoted: When someone asks for more of something or at a bonfire while someone is eating a s’more.

6. 21 Jump Street

Jenko: [raiding the evidence locker for drugs to take to their party] Got a pound of coke.

Schmidt: We are trying to show them a good time, not ruin their fucking lives.

Jenko: Pound of marijuana?

Schmidt: Best party ever!

Jenko: Booyah!

Best quoted: Before throwing a party or considering doing illegal things (though I’m not encouraging the latter).

7. The Wizard of Oz

Dorothy: “There’s no place like home.”                        

Best quoted: When you arrive home after a long road trip, coming home after a stressful day of tests, or better yet,when coming back to KU after winter/summer break.