george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Easy Ways to Clean Up Your Facebook Profile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This past Monday I was struck with an awesome idea that I knew I would have to tell you all about. Spring cleaning seems to be a right of passage for many adults and students here at KU. But, have you all ever thought what a good idea it would be to clean up your social media? Here are seven great tips to help you get started.  

Update!

So, I’m hoping by now that everyone has the Facebook timeline. But, if there are certain things that are outdated and or annoying on your profile, update them! I update my profile picture at least once every month, just to keep things fresh and keep people interested. Make sure you also always update you bio, if not for your friends, do it for your future employers. Your friends may find that your going to Hogwarts is funny, but you might have employers rolling their eyes. Of course, you can update any way you want to – just make sure it represents you in a good light!

Just remember all the good the Purge does”

Did anyone else find that movie to be creepy? But, I do think that quote accurately describes my next tip or “the great unfollow” as many people call it. It might sound depressing, but you can’t be friends with everyone. I mean, imagine my depression when Facebook told me that Andrew Wiggins couldn’t accept any more friend requests. “Purging” your friends lists can actually really help you in the long run. Getting rid of the people who clog up your feed with annoying buzzfeed quizzes and replacing them with people who share your interests will improve your online presence.

Unlike!

Do you remember those pages that you liked back in middle school? When Facebook was just becoming popular? I do. How could I forget the page dedicated to just simply “cookies”? But, in all seriousness, if the pages you liked when you were younger don’t fit your personality anymore, unlike them! The whole point of keeping your Facebook updated is to keep it interesting to you! And if your 9th science teacher’s turtle page is not interesting to you anymore, click “unlike” – I promise it won’t hurt!

Be Active!

I will admit I’m guilty of not being completely active on Facebook – and that is something that I’ve decided to work on. Keeping things fresh and interesting is what makes social media fun! You get to interact with other people who are similar to you and you get to share your thoughts. So, I recommend posting something, anything, a picture or a post, just to get people interactive with you. Just remember to keep it classy, ladies!  

Okay, that’s about it for me today. I hope you all enjoyed these tips and you can get something out of them. OH! And shameless self-promotion – you know who does social media best? Her Campus KU! Go like us on Facebook, we’ll keep you interested – I promise!

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_
Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.