6 Stylish Ways to Represent Your Hometown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

When you leave your beloved hometown to go onto bigger and better things at a University, it’s easy to feel homesick every now and then. Especially if you’re an out-of-state student, it can sometimes feel like the life you led back home is completely separate from the one you now carry out at school. There are multiple ways to help ease the feelings of being homesick, including listening to your old favorite songs, calling your mom, or even throwing on your old sweatshirt from high school. But for when the old team sweatshirt or homecoming t-shirt just doesn’t cut it, I found a couple of ways to wear your hometown with a little bit more style. Each item is completely customizable and perfect for wherever you call home. 

1. Any State Love Ring

Completely handmade and made of sterling silver, this ring is a lovely little reminder of the place that you know like the back of your own hand.

2. Coordinate Bracelet 

Using the coordinates to your home is a little subtler than having the shape of your state on your finger, and this specific bracelet is inexpensive to order at just $10.

3. Homeland Tees

This design company makes a huge variety of different shirts (and car decals!) that show off your state with a cute or ironic detail inside the state’s silhouette.

4. Custom Map Earrings

Maps have always been a piece of artwork in of themselves, and now you can show off their cool intricate line work in the form of earrings.

5. State Quarter Coin Rings

These rings are a unique way to recycle a quarter and act as a conversation piece that will be sure to grab the attention of others.

6. City State Necklace

The best part of this necklace is that it gives your hometown a little love and places a small heart imprint on the location of your city within the state.

It doesn’t matter if you came from a major U.S city or if you came from a small town with a population with less than 300 people, these items serve as a small reminder of where you came from and where you’ve grown up. Keeping a small keepsake of your home with you as you go about your day helps ease the transition from home to school greatly. But try not to get too homesick, as it’s important to remember to enjoy living in the moment and to thriving at school.  And hey, who knows; maybe someday you’ll be finding yourself buying reminders of your college town as you make your way into the real world.

Journalism Student, Arts Enthusiast, & Minneapolis Native.