6 Signs You’re A Burgeoning Coffee Addict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As a college student struggling to keep up with midterms, class projects, and all-night study seshes, I’ll admit that I might have developed a bit of a coffee addiction. And by “a bit of a coffee addiction,” I mean that if I don’t get my daily intake of caffeine, I will spend the rest of the day trudging around campus lifelessly with a headache that puts most hangovers to shame.

It’s easy to pretend you don’t have a problem, especially when you used to just be a casual coffee drinker that drank frappés with friends every once in awhile. But the farther you fall down the slippery slope known as a caffeine addiction, the harder it is to ignore the signs that you might actually be further gone than you originally thought.

1. If you’ve ever had an aversion to black coffee, you’ve learned to get past it. You used to swear on your grave that it was the most vom-worthy substance you’ve ever tasted (pumpkin spice lattes 4evr), but for some reason you’ve started drinking it by the shipload. The fact of the matter is that at this point, you’re so far gone that you’ve probably just grown numb to the taste.

2. Every time you walk past a café, you start twitching like an addict going through withdrawal. Face it: you are an addict. But you do not have the money for this. You’ve already had a cup a few hours ago. Oh, eff it– you know you’ll give in next time, anyway.

3. You’ve learned it’s impossible to have a productive day without it. It’s probably the only thing that gives you enough strength to sit through hours of essay-writing and flash card-memorizing at the library. Otherwise, you’d probably just spend the day refreshing twitter every 20 seconds and googling cat gifs. That is, if you can even find the energy to get out of bed and grab your phone.

4. You lie to your friends about how much you drink because you know they’ll either judge or question your well being. You know, I think I’ve only had two cups today… Or seven. I promise I don’t have a problem, okay?

5. Sometimes you forget the taste of water. When was the last time you’ve even gotten close to half of the recommended eight glasses a day? But I mean, coffee is basically water, right?

6. If you aren’t already drinking a cup now, this gifs are probably tempting you to. Come on, you know you want to.