5 Ways You Can Make Studying More Enjoyable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

If you’re like me than you find studying a hassle and annoying, especially when the class that you’re studying for doesn’t teach the material well. I am always looking for ways to make life more enjoyable.  Why should studying be any less fun?

1. While you’re studying give yourself a little award every time you read X number of pages.  This reward could be food, like little gummy bears, something healthy like dried fruit or 5 minutes on your favorite social media site.
  2. Color code you notes:  Using different colors can be a really fun way to make looking at those god awful notes more fun, and using different colors might even help you retain more information instead of looking at just a bland color of ink.
  3. Change your scenery: It’s becoming so nice outside, so go outside and study.  Sit behind a tree or on a park bench.  Being outside can be very relaxing and the stress of your next test won’t seem as stressful sitting outside.
  4. Listen to music:  Listen to soothing, relaxing music.  OR listen to Dubstep.  I’ve heard that music helps different people study.  Listening to music while studying may not be great for some people, but I think it gives someone that extra push to study the material.  I know you can look up playlists to listen while you’re studying which is really cool.
  5. Study with a friend.  But seriously study.  Don’t pretend you are going to study and then end up watching weird cat videos.  Make up a plan of what you need to study and then stick with it.  You can have little breaks every once in a while to keep yourselves sane.  Bouncing ideas off of each other and teaching each other the material is a nice way of not studying alone and being bored; while also retaining more information and this will help both of you (or more) know more information.  
Blue Valley West graduate of 2014. I am an avid golf player. I also enjoy playing the cello and singing in my spare time. I am hoping to major in social work and work with foster kids