5 Ways To Survive Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Ahh! The seasons are changing, and with winter fast approaching, the common cold is hitting college campuses like the plague. It’s that in between season when sniffling is as common as “hello,” and your roomate won’t come near you because NO, she will not get sick. Being sick in college is the absolute worst… like hello, where is your mother? After dramatically laying ill in my bed all week I felt it was only fair of me to help my fellow Collegiettes™ out. To ease the pain, here are five ways to get you back out on the playing field in no time.

1.     Sleep: God’s gift to earth. Sleep as much as possible. One of the few benefits to being sick is that naps are basically required.

2.     Netflix: When you’re not sleeping, make sure to watch Netflix. This is like 100% guaranteed to take the pain of being sick away.

3.     Over the Counter Cold Medications: Mucinex, DayQuil, NyQuil, Sudafed, Tylenol. My favorite, Airborne, can be a lifesaver. Put it in hot tea, put it in water… just don’t put it in beer.

4.     Friends who make you soup and take care of you: Remember that one time you picked your roommate up at three in the morning on a Wednesday? Yes, this is her opportunity to make it up to you. For all you lone wolves, ramen will suffice.

5.     Drink fluids: Water, hot tea, orange juice. Maybe not alcohol. Pick your poison and stick to it.

Get well soon and remember: naps, netflix, repeat, with an occasional break for meds.

Native East Coaster but born and raised all over this beautiful world. A lover of photography, traveling, a good story, and of course social media. You can always find me studying Journalism and Global and International Studies while day dreaming up a new adventure.