5 Ways to Save Money on Delivery Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Confession time: I really love delivery food.  It’s tasty, much better than the food in my dining hall, I don’t even have to leave my dorm for it, and I can order it as late as 3 a.m. (the perks of living in a college town).  However, ordering delivery constantly has burned a hole in my wallet and caused me to receive multiple angry phone calls from my mother.  Luckily, I learned from my mistakes, and so I’m here to share my wisdom on delivery food.

1. Only order it as a last resort

Okay, this should be sort of a given, but I’ll say it regardless because it’s true.  If you’re living in a dorm, make the most of your meal plan.  If you live in a house/apartment/whatever, use up whatever’s in your fridge and pantry.  Basically, only order delivery if: a) all you’ve got left is, like, a can of jam and a thing of cabbage in your fridge or b) if your dining hall is only offering super nasty stuff for dinner, such as lentil-stuffed tomatoes.  Yes, that is a thing.  And yes, it’s as gross as it sounds.

2. Order through third-party websites (i.e. OrderUp)

Food ordering websites like OrderUp or EatStreet tend to have exclusive deals that you can’t find if you order directly with the restaurant.  These deals are usually pretty substantial, not just some worthless $1 off coupon, like a free appetizer with your order or $5 off if your order is more than a certain amount.  Also, these websites have deals from all kinds of restaurants, so whether you’re craving pizza or Chinese, chances are you’ll find what you’re looking for.

3. Look for deals and coupons

If you look hard enough, you’ll find deals, and not just on food ordering websites.  For example, sometimes there are people around Wescoe handing out flyers and coupon books, so grab one if you can.  Look in the UDK, Yelp, wherever, and you’re almost guaranteed to find a coupon or discount. Also, if you order online on a restaurant’s website, chances are that they do have deals.  One example is Pickleman’s, where you can get half a sandwich and a cup of soup for a lower price.

4. Actually look at the prices

It’s a simple but effective way to save money.  Get the cheapest item you can unless it’s really skimpy or you’re allergic to it. Also, don’t let your stomach speak for you and order big, just ask yourself: do I REALLY need an extra large pizza though I can finish a small at best?  Try to avoid ordering from more expensive restaurants.  As much as I love Ramen Bowls, a $12 bowl of ramen (plus tax + delivery) is pretty expensive, and I’d be better off ordering a $6 sandwich.  The cheaper, the better.  Unless it’s Jimmy John’s (no offense, Jimmy John’s fans, but JJ’s kind of sucks).

5. Create an account on websites

Whenever you order online, you’re usually asked if you want to create an account or order as a guest.  As tempting as it is to constantly choose the guest option, go create the account(s).  You’ll get emails about upcoming discounts, which is always nice.  Furthermore, some places, like Pickleman’s and Papa John’s, have incentives for ordering online with an account, and free food is always a good thing!