5 Ways To Make The Most of Stop Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
One of the major things that I loved about the transition to college last year was Stop Day. The last Friday of the semester before finals where you don’t have to be anywhere on campus. It is seriously the best thing since sliced bread, seriously. Today, I’m going to be teaching you all the best ways to take advantage of this awesome day that only comes twice a year.

Sleeping 

Sleeping is probably my favorite thing to do, ever and it’s extremely relaxing. Sleep late, don’t set an alarm, whatever is best for you. This is one of the one things I’m going to suggest that your body needs daily. Treat yourself by sleeping later than you usually would and your body will thank you! 

Plan A Trip 

I love Stop Day and the weekend after because you can go on a small trip with your time. I’m from Kansas City, so one evening I went home and visited with my parents my first semester. If you’re not into that, plan a trip to Kansas City to go shopping or eat a fancy dinner with your friends. The Country Club Plaza has some great restaurants and they have Christmas lights that are to die for! 

But, if Kansas City really isn’t your thing, plan a day trip to see some friends at other schools here in Kansas. My best friend goes to K-State (I know, she is very stupid) and I’m planning on visiting her during my weekend if I have time! Planning a trip is one of the most beneficial things to do during Stop Day weekend because it gets your mind off of the next week! 

Do Something For Yourself 

This is the time to relax before you start finals; they do call it Stop Day for a reason! Get a manicure or pedicure, a massage, anything (remember, HC KU is hosting Treat Yourself on Saturday- free manicures and facials)! Lawrence is a great place because there are so many places to treat yourself before you have to buckle down and study hard! I always do this on my stop days. I usually sleep late and then get a massage so I’m relaxed and ready to take on those pesky finals! 

Watch Netflix 

Now, I know this is probably what you are all doing right now and are probably going to continue doing during Stop Day. But, Netflix is so great because there is so many new things to watch every day! Find some new movies or a new TV show to binge! I recommend Scandal, American Horror Story and Orange Is The New Black! 

Get A Head Start on Studying 

I know that I said before that Stop Day is supposed to be for relaxing, but, if you really are worried about finals, I suggest starting to study. Go to the library or to a coffee shop and buy yourself some coffee you’ve never tried before. I always have liked doing this for a least for a few hours out of my day to know that I actually did something productive! 

I hope you all enjoyed these five simple ways to fill up your stop day and weekend! Good luck to everyone on their finals, I know you will all do great! Also, on a complete side note, come join Her Campus KU at Marinello’s on December 13 for a day full of relaxation and FREE STUFF! 

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_