This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Alright, let’s be honest with each other. College is hard — I mean, really hard. With 12-18+ hours of classes a week, study time outside of class and a social life, it can be difficult to find a balance. Being toward the end of the semester, stress levels are running high (learn how to de-stress here), and staying organized is becoming a challenge. Don’t give up now — Thanksgiving break is so close and remember that the payoff is going to be worth it in the end. I have compiled a list of things that I consider to be must-do’s whenever life begins to clutter!

1. Keeping a Planner

If you ask any one of my friends what I never leave the house without, they will tell you that it’s my planner. I use it for absolutely everything! All of my class times and assignments, meetings, friend time, study sessions, even my meals and sleep times are written down in my planner. Not only does it help me to stay organized, but it also allows me to have a set schedule so I am less likely to get behind. I know what you’re probably thinking right now — planners are outdated and everyone uses their phone or laptop instead. While this may be true for some, I find that physically writing my tasks down help me remember what I have to do. Some people even go a step further into the visualization aspect by color coding their planners, using different colored pens or pencils to distinguish between certain classes or events.

2. Studying

Setting aside specific times during the week to study is one of the most important things that you should do as a college student. There are several ways that you can make this happen and utilize your time. What works best for me is changing up my study space for different classes. On the days that I study or do homework in math, for instance, I go to a place where there’s a lot of chatter, like the student union. For classes that require a lot of reading or writing though, I go to the silent study floor of a library. As for time, I usually study 1-2 hours for every hour I’m in class. Depending on the course and how well I understand the material, that time can be lengthened or shortened. A helpful way to ensure that all of your classes are getting the attention that they need is to write the specific times you would like to study in your planner! 

3. Making Time for Friends

While yes, college is predominantly about classes, and yes, you are here to get an education, the social scene is certainly an aspect of your life here at college that you don’t want to neglect! One thing that is great about college is that wherever you go, you’re almost guaranteed to find someone that you have something in common with and would like to be your friend. It’s easy to find people that have to same ideas or interests as you. What isn’t so easy, though, is making time to pursue those interests. Even though it seems like there isn’t enough time in the day to go to class, study and see your friends, I have found that even 30 minutes of friend time can get me through the rest of a night of studying! Whether it be watching a movie, going out or just sitting around talking and laughing, make sure that you carve time into your schedule for your friends.

4. The Fine Art of Me Time

Along the lines of taking a break from school, sometimes you just need to take a break from the world for a minute. I have found that making time for myself each day ultimately makes me more productive, less frantic and a whole lot happier. The great thing about having a little bit of “me time” is that you know exactly what you want. You don’t have to worry about what everyone else wants to do, you can just do whatever your heart desires. I find that journaling is a great way to spend some time with myself and really center my thoughts. For some this may be prayer, meditation, exercise, volunteering or even napping. Regardless of what it is, make sure that you set aside time each day to do something that is just for you!

5. Remembering Your Family

Most of college students don’t live at home, or even anywhere near their homes. Even if you do, it is still easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the college life and forget about the people that got you here. Whether it be parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins or even friends that you recognize as family, it is extremely important to remember them! Give mom and dad a call every once in awhile. Write letters or emails or text messages. Go home, see their faces and give them all a hug. I was given similar advice my very first week of college from a student ambassador. He told us, “Remember that as you get older, your parents do, too.” That hit me and it hit me hard. Making time to extend your gratitude to the people that helped you get to where you are today is so important, not just in college, but in life in general. So the next time you have a free second, give the people that you love a phone call or shoot them a text message to let them know that you are thinking about them, and that you’re thankful for their help in getting you here!