5 things you need for Instagram-worthy nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The $30 gel manicure you got for the first week of school is nothing more than a memory now. You Instagrammed it, Snapchatted it and probably Tweeted about it, but your nails and all of their (former) shining glory are now scuffed, chipped, maybe bitten..? and dull like your soul after Dollar Night.

You’re quickly learning/remembering that living a social college life can take a toll on your wallet (i.e. liver) and your monthly manis are becoming a foreign concept.

However, Instagram-worthy nails can still be all yours.

Here are five things that can get you those salon-pampered hands for under $10:

1. Fab Ur Nails Fab Ur Nails supplies stamping image and pattern plates that can be used to transfer designs onto the nail. They retail the image pattern plates, the stampers and several kinds of brushes to help with clean up. The lovely white overlay on these nails was created with only one of many Fab Ur Nail templates. Few people actually have the skills/patience to create a pattern like this by hand, so just sit back and let the stamp do all of the work.  These sail boats were created using image stamping then colored in to embellish the pattern. #NotBasic
  2. Stick Me NailsStick Me Nails offers six different kinds of vinyls stickers to vamp your mani. Stripes, chevron stripes and lightening bolts = you can have any of the 200 nail designs you’ve pinned on Pinterest.And because nautical will always be in style. To any DGs out there, this has your name written all over it. 
  3. My NCLAThis may not be under $10 but is well worth the $20 investment. The MyNCLA iphone app allows you to turn any photo into nail art. The 57 pictures you have of your cat now have a purpose.  Seriously people, this is the coolest thing you’ve ever seen. You can talk about the time you studyied abroad forever now if you have photos from it on your hands. Go nuts. PLUS, nail stickers are the fastest and easiest way ever to a million dollar mani. 
  4. Twinkled TOkay so glitter galore. Twinkled T has all of the glitter you can get your much-needed-manied hands on. They have solvent-resistant glitter so that your nail art can last as long as your pinterest addiction. On top of that, they have more nail embellishments than nail designs you can think of. Like literally everything from acrylic flowers to gold heart studs to sparkly bows. AND they have dotting tools to create the perfect polka dot mani. #NailedIt

5. Miami Hand JobsMiami Hand Jobs also sells vinyls but of a different variety. Triangle and mermaid scale templates are going to be super popular this year, so get on board. Now. 

Not to mention they have aztec, herringbone and staggered chevron patterns so your nails can match at least three outfits in your closet. They also have music notes, bricks, and tetris vinyls to keep your mani options open for eternity. 

Polish on, ladies. See all of your shiny new manis on Insta. Tag @hercampus_ku, me @cherilynrachelle, and #kustyleblog

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.