The 5 Stages of Your Best Friend Not Talking To You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Denial

“Maybe she’s not really avoiding you,” you think. Maybe she hasn’t texted you back in the past few days because she’s going through something with her boyfriend and tomorrow you’re going to receive a novel explaining all of the stuff going on in her life, complete with emoji’s to tell the story. 

2. Anger

It’s been a week now and you’ve talked to your other friends and uncovered that she is, in fact, ignoring you. She believes you have hooked up her idiot ex-boyfriend, because he wanted to make her jealous and, naturally, he hates you. He’s built up mounding evidence against you and convinced his friends to go along with his allegations. You’re enraged at everyone! Why would he do that to you? He’s the worst person in the world! Why would she believe him over you? Why wouldn’t she talk to you about it? Did your friendship even matter to her?

3. Bargaining

You’re done being mad at everyone; I mean you do have a track record for being kind of a sl*tty drunk. But why would she think that you would do that to her after how bad she knew you felt when you actually did do that to your roommate? Maybe this isn’t really happening and it’s all a bad dream. Maybe this is a prank that she’s playing. Maybe if you talk to the aforementioned idiot, he’ll come around and tell her the truth. Maybe if you text her every hour on the hour, she’ll finally come around and talk to you. Maybe if you get his roommates on your side you can take him down from within! 

4. Depression

You’ve given up. It’s been two weeks now and you don’t think she’s ever going to talk to you again. You’ve never gone this long without talking and it’s breaking you up inside. You stop trying to text her and spend your time eating chocolate in your room. You don’t go and hang out with your friends in case she’s there. After all, she didn’t want to confront you in the first place, so why go through the pain of having her ignore you in person. You cry a lot and your roommate is getting sick of it. Maybe it’s not about the lie and it’s about you as a person. Maybe she wants to believe the lie to finally have an excuse to ignore you. IdiotF*ckboy hates you for a reason, maybe you’re an awful person who deserves what he did. Why else would she believe him over you? 

5. Acceptance

You’ve cried all of your tears out and you’ve bought out the store’s chocolate section.You realize she’ll come around eventually. You know that she’s just non-confrontational and eventually she’ll talk to you about it and you’ll laugh about this ever happening. A boy isn’t going to come between you two, especially not an idiot. Just give her time to figure things out – you know she’s a sensible person. The text will come, I promise…emojis and all.

I'm a freshman journalism and theatre performance double major at KU (I'm basically majoring in waitressing), who a proud member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Welcome to my weird thoughts and follow me on twitter if you would enjoy further insight into them: @talkalot_360