This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I will openly admit that I have not purchased 1989, but I have heard most of the album. To clear the air, I’m not the biggest T-Swift fan but I am happy for her and am, like many others, happy she finally declared herself pop because who honestly believed that she belonged at the CMA’s? Especially after she released Red. Anyways, I’m going to give you five of the top reasons that people gave me for why I should break down and at least listen to one song, whether or not you act on them is 100% up to you. But I would like to preface this and make it clear that I’m not trying to convince you to buy the album because as I’ve already said… I haven’t even bought it yet.

1. The obvious genre change: She’s pop now and we need to know what that means, especially because she was still under the country umbrella when she released “Red” and we all know that nothing about that was country.

2. A new guilty pleasure: We all have that one T-Swift song or album that we can only jam out to when we’re alone, but after awhile those songs start to get old and we need something new to listen be ashamed of. 

3. Conversation starter: Like the weather, T-Swift is a good way to avoid awkward silence and if you’re as on the fence as I am about her, you can pretty much swing either way depending upon who you’re talking to. Try it out on your dentist or someone in the elevator.

4. We love to hate: Secretly we’ve all hated on Swift at least once in our lives for one reason or another: her clothes, her success, her ex-boyfriends, etc. She’s got a new album, what more do you need?

5. FOMO: Fear of missing out. Who wants to be the only one that HASN’T heard it? Then you’re that awkward kid in the corner with nothing to contribute to the conversation. Don’t be that guy.

6. You may actually like it: You don’t know until you try!