5 Haunted Places in Kansas to Check Out This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery, Leavenworth

In continuous use since 1844, Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery is home to the remains of over 20,000 US soldiers. However, the ghost said to haunt Fort Leavenworth is that of a distraught mother, not a soldier. Catherine Sutter was a pioneer woman who went searching for her children in a winter storm and never returned. Guests have claimed to see Sutter’s ghost roaming the cemetery grounds, wearing all black, holding a lantern, and calling out for her children.

2. The Sallie House, Atchison

This seemingly unassuming house in Atchison has quite a story. The house was purchased in 1866 while it was still under construction by the family of Michael C. Finney. In 1872, Mr. Finney died in the house, but he was only the first of several to meet their end at 508 2nd street. Finney’s young son Richard died in the house two years later, as did his father-in-law. At least four more people perished in either the Sallie House or the house built next door by Michael Finney’s eldest son, James. After being owned by the same woman until her own death of old age, Debra and Tony Pickman moved into the Sallie House in 1993, and immediately began noticing strange things happening, such as the family dog barking at nothing and their son’s toys seemingly rearranging themselves. Tony also reported waking up with scratches on his back on several occasions. The Pickman’s story was told by several paranormal investigation TV shows, but they have since moved out of the house and apparently the paranormal activity has died down since.

3. Hutchinson Public Library, Hutchinson

Established in 1901, the Hutchinson Public Library is said to be haunted by former librarian Ida Day. Most sightings of Day occur in the library’s basement, but the majority of reports say she keeps to herself. She is often seen sorting books and looking through the library’s shelves.

4. Hamburger Hill, Hutchinson

If you’re headed to Hutchinson to check out the library, make sure to stop at Hamburger Hill, located near the hiking trails at Sand Hills State Park. It is rumored that the Hamburger Man, who is disputed to be either a ghost or a severely disfigured man, kidnaps victims, takes them to his shack in the State Park, and grinds them into hamburger meat. Sightings began in the 1950’s, so it is unlikely that this man is still alive, if he was ever real to begin with.

5. Kansas State University, Manhattan

There are actually several haunted spots at K-State, so if for some strange reason you’re in Manhattan (no one’s judging), you might want to see if you can spot Nick, Duncan, or George. Nick was a football player who received a fatal injury during a game and now haunts the Purple Masque Theatre on campus, setting off fire extinguishers, spilling paint, and blasting music. Angry pledge Duncan resides at the Pi Kappa Phi House, and Delta Sigma Phi’s house was formerly a hospital. There have been several sightings of a female nurse as well as George, who was the last patient to die at the hospital and is known to rearrange furniture.

Marissa Ventrelli is a Freshman at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She currently writes for Her Campus and takes photos for her school's newspaper, the Daily Kansan. Her goal is to become a photojournalist for National Geographic but also to own several dogs and have a pathetically impressive collection of nut butters. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, hiking, volunteering, and writing about herself in the third person. After graduation, she hopes to move to Oregon where she will mock its citizens while simultaneously identifying with them on a deep level.