5 Delicious (and Microwaveable) Egg Breakfasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The second semester of school has started. For me, this means busy mornings, no breakfast and running to classes. I am not really a morning person and it’s hard for me to have enough time to eat breakfast in the mornings. Usually I would eat cereal, granola bar or yogurt. But for me, I get so hungry just after an hour or so if I don’t eat something warm and filling like eggs.  

It is traditional to eat hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs or an omelet for breakfasts. If you can wake up early in the morning to actually put some olive oil on your frying pan, kudos to you.  Sadly, this doesn’t include me so I usually use microwave and do something else while waiting for my breakfast to be ready. And even if you normally make breakfast every morning, why not jazz it up you mornings with these quick and easy recipes? All of these recipes take less than 5 minutes to prepare and cook. So, if you love eggs, like me, try these breakfast recipes that I found and start an egg-citing day!

1. Microwave egg muffin

Things you will need:  a cup of milk, a bag of pancake mix, two eggs and a little bit of salt and pepper.  First, put two cups of pancake mix, an egg and a cup of milk in a bowl. Mix them together thoroughly. Put the mixture one third way into a microwavable or a paper cup of your choice. Crack another egg you have on top of the mixture and make sure to pop the yolk with a fork. Put some salt and pepper on top. Microwave it for two minutes and take it out of the cup.

2. Microwave egg Breakfast Burrito

Things you will need: a flour tortilla, an egg, some shredded cheese, a table spoon of salsa. Line a microwave-safe cereal bowl with microwave-safe paper towel. Press a tortilla into bowl. Break an egg into center of tortilla. Beat the egg gently with a fork until blended, being careful not to tear tortilla. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir. Microwave until the egg is almost set, 15 to 30 seconds longer. Remove the tortilla with paper towel liner from bowl to flat surface. Top the egg with cheese and salsa. Fold the bottom of the tortilla over egg, then fold it in sides.

3. Microwave Coffee cup scramble

Things you will need: an egg, a tablespoon of water, shredded cheese, thin-sliced deli ham (chopped), ¼ cup of chopped mushrooms. Coat a microwave-safe coffee mug with cooking spray.  Add an egg, tablespoon of water, some mushrooms and ham and beat them until they are blended.  Microwave it on High for 30 seconds and stir.  Microwave it until the egg is almost set for about 30 to 45 seconds longer. Season it with salt and pepper, and top it with cheese if wanted. 

4. Microwave breakfast hash

Things you will need: ½ cup of frozen Potatoes O’Brien or shredded hash browns, an egg, shredded cheddar cheese, ketchup or BBQ sauce. Coat a microwave-safe small cereal bowl with cooking spray.  Add potatoes and microwave on high for 1 minute until it’s hot.  Season it with salt and pepper. Break an egg into bowl.  Beat the egg with fork until it’s blended. Microwave it on high 30 seconds and stir.  Microwave until the egg is almost set, about 15 to 30 seconds longer. Top it with cheese and also with ketchup or BBQ sauce.

5. Microwave Egg in the hole

Things you will need: one slice of bread of your choice, teaspoon of butter, an egg. Toast a slice of bread and butter it lightly. Using cookie cutter, kitchen scissor, or your hand, cut out a section in the center of the bread large enough to hold an egg. Place bread on a microwavable plate and crack egg into hole. Pierce the yolk few times with a fork. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until egg is cooked as you wanted.

What are some of your favorite recipes on the go? Let us know in the comments!

Minseon Sunny Kim is a sophmore at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communication and Finance. She is interested in fashion, graphic design, technology, and social media. She would love to work for an advertising agency or fashion magazine one day.