5 Badass Women who Won Seats in this Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The Plus Side to This Election: 5 Women Who Won Seats in 2016

1. Catherine Cortez Masto

Catherine Cortez Masto was elected senator in Nevada, becoming the first Latina woman to do so. Once Nevada’s Attorney General, Masto is of Italian and Mexican descent, her paternal grandfather having immigrated from Chihuahua. She will replace Harry Reid, who is retiring.

2. Tammy Duckworth

Illinois’ Senator-elect Tammy Duckworth has quite a few notable attributes to her name. She is the second Asian American and first Thai-American woman elected to congress. Duckworth received a Purple Heart after losing both of her legs in a helicopter accident, making her the first female senator to have seen combat.

3. Kamala Harris

Kamala Harris, the senator-elect from California, is of Jamaican and Indian descent, which makes her both the second African American woman and Indian-American person to hold a senate position. She currently works as the Attorney General of California, and was the first woman of color to do so.

4. Stephanie Murphy

One of Florida’s picks for the House of Representatives, Stephanie Murphy is the daughter of Vietnamese refugees, the first in her family to go to college, and now the first Vietnamese-American woman elected to congress.

5. Kate Brown

Kate Brown is Oregon’s newly elected governor and the United States’ first openly LGBT governor. Brown is a former Oregon Secretary of State and has actually been Oregon’s governor since last year after John Kitzhaber’s resignation, but she won the bid on her own accord in 2016.

Way to go, America. At least you did something right (hopefully).

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/diverse-candidates-win-sea…

Marissa Ventrelli is a Freshman at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She currently writes for Her Campus and takes photos for her school's newspaper, the Daily Kansan. Her goal is to become a photojournalist for National Geographic but also to own several dogs and have a pathetically impressive collection of nut butters. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, hiking, volunteering, and writing about herself in the third person. After graduation, she hopes to move to Oregon where she will mock its citizens while simultaneously identifying with them on a deep level.