4 Scientific Dates to Spice up Your Love Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

You and your significant other are sitting on the couch. You agreed to have a date today, but you’ve been to all of your favorite restaurants on Mass Street and none of the movies out right now look good. Don’t get me wrong, days spent watching Netflix aren’t necessarily a waste – some of my best memories from relationships are from those moments. But sometimes you just need a change of pace. And what better way to change that pace than with a day of fun, adventure and (academic) experimentation. Check out these dates to expand your relationship’s scientific horizons.

1. Go to a Science Museum

Sometimes, in between all of our lectures, readings, exams and labs we forget that it can actually be enjoyable to learn. Science museums are great at reminding us of this, because they leave us with new information in really interesting ways. And since each topic is covered briefly, you can learn just a little bit about a slew of topics, ranging from the environment, the human body and even to biochemistry! Best of all, it will give you and your significant other something to talk about. Often in our relationships, our conversations become limited to the repetitive moments of our lives. Finally, you will have something more to talk about than you breakfast and how much you hate your math class. And as you learn and experience something new as a pair, your bond can be strengthened even further. Check out Science City in Union Square in Kansas City to give this date a shot.

Source: http://www.unionstation.org/sciencecity

2. Visit a natural history museum

The best part of this idea is that it is free and there is one right here in Lawrence! The University of Kansas Natural History Museum can be found in Dyche Hall on Jayhawk Boulevard, next to the Kansas Union. Natural history museums are great because they are generally less science-heavy than purely science museums. In KU’s museum you will find a beautiful panorama, as well as some really cool fossils and other collections. And this museum is small enough to be experienced well in a couple of hours, leaving you plenty of time for lunch.

Source:https: //www.flickr.com/photos/courthouselover/6433958341/

3. Turn your kitchen into a laboratory

National geographic makes some really rad candy chemistry kits. I had a few when I was a kid and thought that they were super cool then. If we are going to be completely honest, college students really aren’t that different from kids, so I’m going to assume it will still be amazing. With these kits, you can learn how to make chocolate and gummy candies, as well as other things like rock candy and more. Sometimes there is nothing more fun than creating something you’ve never tried before and being super proud of it (or sometimes, even better, very not proud of it.) While these kits don’t guarantee that your creations will work out, I can guarantee that they will give you and your partner some fun memories, some good laughs and hopefully some great candy.

Source: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/kids/toys-and-games/all-t…

4. Go on a nature walk

When we think of biodiversity, we often think of places like the Amazon Rainforest or other familiar hotspots. But we forget that there are plenty of really cool organisms all around us. Working in the Biodiversity Institute, graduate students will go “herping” (searching for reptiles and amphibians) all around the Lawrence area. I can attest to the fact that they find really amazing things. And though they obviously know techniques that the average student may not, anyone can go on a walk and enjoy their surroundings. Taking a hike around Clinton, or even Potter, Lake will open you up to the beautiful world of Northeastern Kansas’ natural wonders. An important part of scientific understanding is just appreciating it when it occurs naturally.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Potter_Lake_at_KU.JPG

Abby Fields is a sophomore at the University of Kansas pursuing a Bachelor of Sciences in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.