23 Reasons You Need a Dog in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Maybe I’m biased because my dog is the greatest living creature in the world. Or maybe the increase in college students that I know getting themselves a furry friend helps to back my position. Either way, having a dog in college really isn’t as hard as it may seem. They are actually great companions to get you through some rough–but great–years. Here are 23 great reasons to get one:

1. Dogs love tailgating, too. 

2. Dogs are a great way to make new friends – they are easy conversation starters. Dogs need play dates too.

3. They’ll help you be more active. Dogs need fresh air and exercise – they’ll get you to go on walks or to hit up the dog park.

4. Dog parks are man magnets. They could be called active, dog-loving man parks.

5. Dogs are man magnets.

6. Dogs are girl magnets. I don’t know what you’re after.

7. You’re never really alone when you have a dog. They will always be happy to see you.

8. 

9. Dogs are easy entertainment. The lack of opposable thumbs thing can lead to plenty of video-worthy moments.

10. People love dog pictures. Instagram your pup’s life away.

11. You have someone to vent to, judgment free.

12. Dogs are scientifically proven to be mood lifters. You just failed a test? You just got dumped? Here, have a puppy.

13. 

14. You have a great judge of character right by your side. If your dog doesn’t like someone, then you probably shouldn’t. Canine instincts are sharper than yours, that’s almost a guarantee.

15. Dogs are a good safety net, they want to protect you. Especially if you live alone. Especially if it’s a big dog. 

16. Dogs teach you responsibility. Even if your college-loving, never-grow-up attitude tells you otherwise. Even if your life is a mess, you have an animal to take care of.

17. They can save you money. Dog food isn’t all that expensive, and you tend to not go out as much when you have someone to hang out with at home. You also tend to make more meals at home, rather than dining out as often.

18. They help you relate to people with kids. Fur babies > human babies. For now at least, and then still maybe.

19. Dogs don’t make you feel guilty about binge watching 4 hours of Breaking Bad. They will snuggle with you during said binge.

20. Dogs are great for procrastinating. You have an essay due in 8 hours? Great, teach your dog how to balance a pencil on its nose, or various other tricks.

21. Dogs are great study buddies.

22. Dogs are great road trip companions. That 5 hour trip home to your parents won’t feel so solo and they won’t try to control the music.

23. Dogs are a great excuse to get out of anything. “Sorry professor, my dog literally ate my homework.” “Sorry, I can’t go on a second date, my dog was just diagnosed with separation anxiety and doesn’t like new people.”

If that didn’t convince you, these might help….

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.