This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I recently applied to be a creative designer on the advertising staff of the University Daily Kansan. Halfway through the process of applying and being interviewed, I realized that I was insane. Here are the steps of job hunting.

1. I’m really broke. Maybe I should get a job so that I can eat chipotle.

2. You find something suitable that also will look good on your resume. Somehow, it will also help your major and those jobs are rare.

3. You go to a meeting to see what this job is all about and you are starting to get really excited. You realize you have exactly what it takes to fill this position.

4. Now it’s time to update those resumes, cover letters, and portfolios.

5. The application is due in 24 hours and your cover letter sucks. You realize that it’s very hard to brag about yourself even though you can do it on a daily basis not on paper.

6. You just gave up on making your cover letter the best thing the world has ever seen and so you send off the application and hope for the best.

7. The next two days you wait for that interview call. You actually stare at your phone willing it to ring.

9. Your friend just got the call and you have yet to receive one. You have just decided that you suck at everything life has to offer you.

10. For some reason EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, is talking about this place you are applying to. It’s like they are rubbing it in that you haven’t received the call. More freaking out inserted here.

11. Congratulations! You got a call back for an interview. You celebrate for ten minutes until you realize that you still need to actually go to the interview and charm them with your awkward mannerisms.

12. The three days waiting up to the interview are pretty normal and you feel really good until the day before. You are so nervous that you decide to just not be and that whatever happens, happens.

13. You wake up the morning of your interview and your hair is fluffy and you can’t eat. But that’s okay because your weird hair is part of your weird personality.

14. You arrive to the interview half an hour early and sit there waiting for your turn. Your hands are sweaty and your legs are shaking.

15. FINALLY, you get to go in and tell them all about yourself. Once you are there and talking everything is fine and dandy.

16. You leave the interview feeling like you are on top of the world but then you start going over everything in your head and realize you said some really weird stuff in there. And here is more waiting.

17. At the last possible second of the last day when you’ve decided that it’s all over, someone calls you! You got the position!

18. And now you can finally relax and look back on the emotional struggle of applying for an awesome position.