15 Things Johnson County Kids Know Are True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. You know almost everyone in all of your classes and, as an upperclassmen, you still see people you went to high school with. 

2. All of your out-of-state friends think you go home all time, but in reality you have to drag yourself away from your bed just to go home for holidays. 

3. The Plaza lighting ceremony is the best thing about your Thanksgiving. 

4. All of the high schools have the same name, and sometimes you even get confused when your siblings talk about them. 

5. There are those few classmates who go it Missouri, and they are automatically exiled from your life. 

6. People will always judge you on your high school’s reputation — and you will never get it to change. 

I went to that high school. 

7. You were way too excited when Chipotle came to the food court at Oak Park Mall because that meant that line at the 119th one got a little bit shorter. 

8. You treat pets like they are your family and they pose with you during family pictures. 

9. You owned, or know at least one person who owned, UGG Boots and a North Face jacket in middle school. 

10. You’ve sat in the Caldron at Sporting Park at least once in your life. 

11. You know there is nothing more entertaining than going to a JoCo church. 

12. The YouTube show “The Most Popular Girl in School” actually describes JoCo perfectly. 

13. Everybody you know from JoCo has a car – and most likely has a name for that car. 

14. You probably know at least one person who went to an Ivy League college and you were tired of hearing about it around graduation. 

15. You hate being from Johnson County, but you secretly love it. 

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_