This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Stop thinking like a 30-something-year-old woman. When you’re going out there is no need to dress like you’re going on a Sunday brunch with your mother in your simple top, statement necklace and white wedges. Try to look a little edgy once in awhile… Not only will you look like a bad ass bitch, you’ll feel like one too. No need to be a boring blob… 

2. Maybe try not brushing your hair once in awhile. That soft tousled look isn’t just for the sexy models, you can rock it too. Besides, perfect shiny straightened hair is overrated and BASIC. 

3. Enough with the pastel pinks, mint green and mocha brown polishes. Be bold and bright while you can. We weren’t made to just blend in anyway.

4. Maybe ditch the brown leather boots with black leggings look this fall? Just a thought… There’s plenty of hot boots that will make a statement better than any chunky necklace could.

5. Wear lipstick. Who cares if it looks awful? At least you’re trying something different. And maybe, just maybe, you’ll find that favorite bold lip you’ve been secretly fantasizing about while reading your basic magazines and surfing Pinterest. 

6. No tanning, please. Rock that natural healthy glow your skin gives you. Just keep it moisturized and all will be happy. 

7. Have you tried a skirt before? Because they are fantastic and one of the least basic clothing items you could score. And no I’m not referring to the tight mini skirt you wear with that see-through flowy top and bandeau on the weekends. I’m talking about the midi and the maxi and the in-betweenie that you can wear to class, or to lunch or heaven forbid to go out on a Friday night. Plus, what girl doesn’t like to give a little twirl?

8. Let’s talk about undies. Yes ladies, we can find them in more places that just Victoria’s Secret. Lingerie, bras and all the works can be found in many of places, not to mention they are hot and comfy just like the many pairs of yoga pants stuffed in our closets. 

9. Oh, the Yoga pants. Now I’m not saying you have to throw them out, but maybe you could actually put them to good use and go to a yoga class? Again, just a thought (that isn’t so basic). 

10. If Lauren Conrad is your idol, girl, you basic. Find some more note-worthy female fashion role models that aren’t so basic. 

11. If your Halloween costume falls into the category “Sexy ____,”  you’re basic. Try something a little more creative this year and maybe you don’t have to show much skin to get recognition for a bad ass costume.