11 Things Asian American Parents Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This article does not reflect the views of Her Campus or Her Campus KU, and is the opinion of the writer.

1. NO SHOES IN THE HOUSE

(Source)

2. “Aiyaaa, you gain weight!” At dinner: “Aiyaaa, you never eat enough! Here! Eat more!” *Proceeds to spoon more food into your bowl*

(Source)

3. “Are you getting A+ in school?” If yes: “Good. Keep it that way.” If no: “Your parents didn’t do all this for you to get not As in school. Work harder. You want me break out my back scratcher/belt/spoon?” 

(Source)

4. *70 degree weather* “Aiya! It’s so cold! Put on more clothes or you get sick!” *Proceeds to attack you with jackets*

(Source)

5. “So I heard Xing, Ms. Wong’s daughter, won the Most Prestigious Award In the World award. Why you no do that? She going to be so successful.” *Eye roll*

(Source)

6. “Ahhhh, what is that noise? Is that even music?” “Mom, it’s called rap and R&B.” “You can’t even understand what they saying! I don’t like it.”

(Source)

7. *Sick with fever* “Here, drink this.” “Oh my sweet Lord baby Jesus, what is that? It smells and tastes so disgusting!” “It’s full of herbs and Chinese medicine that will make you feel better.” “Can I just have Tylenol?” 

(Source)

8. “Don’t be in the cold too long. The wind will go into your joints and bones and get you sick!” “Pretty sure that’s not scientific.” “You never listen to your momma.”

(Source)

9. “The toilet paper is on sale so I bought all of it. We have 50 rolls now. Take some with you to college.”

(Source)

10. “Remember, NO dating boys. Focus on your school.” *At 21 years old* “Why do you not find good Asian boy yet? You’re going to be too old and no one will want you!” Thanks, mom. 

(Source)

11. “Don’t waste that food! Some hard working farmer in [insert Asian country here] grew that and you have to eat every last bite!”

(Source)

Analog by birth, digital by design. I rap caucasionally, sorta. Prefer my puns intended and will show ankle for 5 minutes for fast internet.