What To Watch in October: Frankenstein, MD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Question: Can you combine humor, Gothic horror, YouTube, and frozen eyeballs in a way that will appeal to the masses?

Hypothesis: If Frankenstein is adapted into a web series, then these four elements can be combined into one masterpiece that will be adored by thousands of fans.

Procedure for Production:

Step 1: Read Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Marry Shelly

Step 2: Have the brilliant idea to adapt the novel as a web series

Step 3: Imagine a modern-day Dr. Frankenstein

Step 4: Gender swap the characters

Step 5: Write the script for aforementioned web series

Step 6: Do a lot of other complicated, technical, behind-the-scenes things that make the web series fantastic

Step 7: Upload two episodes every week to the PBS Digital Studios channel on YouTube

Procedure for Consumption:

Step 1: Open the Internet browser of your choice, and go to www.youtube.com

Step 2: Search “Frankenstein, MD”

Step 3: Click on the first episode, titled “Introducing Victoria” (Alternately-Click this link to be directed to the first episode)

Step 4: Laugh, cringe, gasp, learn, but most of all, enjoy!

Results:

Frankenstein, MD is a web series adaptation of Marry Shelly’s famous Gothic novel Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus. If you’re a fan of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries or Emma Approved, web series adaptations of the famous Jane Austen novels Pride and Prejudice and Emma, then you’re familiar with the work of the creative team behind this series. Led by Hank Green and Bernie Su, this team strives to bring classic stories to modern times with women as the main characters.

To accomplish this in adapting Frankenstein, many characters are gender swapped, so the main character is no longer Dr. Victor Frankenstein, but Victoria Frankenstein. Victoria is a med student who seeks to revolutionize the world through science. As a woman in science, she is aware of the sexism she faces on a daily basis and is determined to smash it by achieving the impossible. Each episode is framed by an experiment that Victoria has prepared to perform for her audience; through this series of experiments, the story of Frankenstein is told. This show addresses questions of morality, the limitations of humans and of science, and sexism in STEM fields, all with a light-hearted twist that is extremely charming.

Conclusion: Frankenstein, MD is, without a doubt, a show that will appeal to literature and science nerds alike. Be sure to check out new episodes every Tuesday and Friday!

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.