This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I’ve traveled the majority of my life and yet, I’ve never hated anything more than feeling like a tourist. Obviously, it’s inevitable – you can’t visit Washington DC without seeing the Mall or London without riding on the Eye or Cleveland without visiting the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. However, I think there’s something to be said for trying the local (or at least more unknown) places.

So, that’s my mission for the weeks leading up to spring break – to bring the local flavor of a city to your visit (which arguably should still include all the museums and sight-seeing you want). This week, I’m focusing on my hometown: Memphis, Tennessee.

1.     Do not refer to Memphis as anything similar to Nashville. We know Nashville and love it, but it is not Memphis.

2.     The city is a lot safer than many people believe — just be careful after dark, as you would in New York or Chicago or Boston.

3.     Do drink the tap water. Don’t ask, just do it. And drink a lot of it. Memphis is hot.

4.     In the same vein, good water = good beer, so if you’re 21+, hit up one of Memphis’s breweries — a local favorite is Ghost River Brewing.

5.     Do not make any Elvis references. Yes, you should visit Graceland, but do not assume that the music scene revolves around him. We’re also home to an impressive amount of rap, blues and alternative rock artists.  For concerts, check out Minglewood Hall, the New Daisy Theater, the Levitt Shell or the Mud Island Amphitheater.  

6.     Do try every kind of BBQ, despite the great debates on which restaurant is best (trust me, there have been blood feuds over this). If you’re all about a good pulled-pork sandwich, hit up The Commissary in Germantown. If you want ribs, go to The Rendezvous. If you want a plethora of sides, go Corky’s. And if want the heaven of all BBQ, go to Central and try the BBQ nachos (students get a free drink with their student ID).

7.     When getting everywhere in the city, you’ll need a car, as there is limited (and somewhat sketchy) public transportation. You will be tempted to use Popular Avenue, but avoid it when possible. And if you can’t, stay out of the far-right lane until the last possible moment.

8.     Get tickets to a Grizzlies game. As the NBA’s smallest but best (actually voted-on, not just in my opinion) franchise, tickets aren’t too expensive and there’s nowhere better for local flavor than the city-christened “Grindhouse.” You’ll get to watch Memphis fans chant rap songs and whip our growl towels. Do not be scared off by phrases such as “grit ‘n’ grind” or “we don’t bluff” or “finish them.”

9.     If you’re under 21, do not try to get on Beale Street after 10 pm. It won’t happen.

10.  Do go see the Flippers, who perform amazing gymnastic stunts, on Beale Street — preferably before a Grizz game.

11.  Do not reference Marc Cohn’s “Walking in Memphis.” Don’t even try. We’ll shut it down real quick.

12.  We’re a nick-name heavy city — “Bluff” “Hoop” “Home of the Blues” to name a few — but locals don’t use them. Instead, use “M-Town” and refer to Memphians as “Memphibians.” You’ll ingratiate yourself faster.

13.  Memphis is a city dedicated to food. For dessert, try Muddy’s Cupcakes (I recommend the red velvet or the Classic). For a cup of coffee, try Otherlands Coffee Bar. For a full breakfast, you’ll want Brother Junipers, but if donuts are more your style, try Gibson’s. If you’re looking for fried chicken, try Gus’s but it has to be the location on Mendenhall. For burgers, you’ll want any of the multiple Huey’s locations — the number one burger in Memphis since the 1970s. Never be deterred by a long line — it’s always worth it.

14.  Try a peanut-butter-banana sandwich or fried pickles, both favorites of Elvis. Who I realize I said not to mention, but still.    

15.  The city has a lot of cool “side” areas — it’s not just downtown and the suburbs. Stop by Overton Square for food (if you go to Babalu, get the table-side guacamole despite the price because it won’t disappoint) or the Cooper-Young district for shopping (Goner Records is amazing).

16.  Visit the Mud Island River Park and complete the Riverwalk. It’s a model of the Mississippi River — bring something to float along it (a rubber duck will do) and race your friends from Cairo, Illinois to the Gulf of Mexico.      

17.  Start a “Tiger” hunt. In 2012, 100 tigers were painted to honor the centennial of University of Memphis. Now, they’re placed around the city and you can go on a scavenger hunt to find them. If you’re staying in the suburbs, Germantown has a “Horse” hunt of the same equivalency.       

18.  Go see the ex-basketball arena, The Pyramid (because, yes, the city was named after Memphis, Egypt), which is now a megastore Bass Pro Shop. The locals haven’t really decided whether we like the Bass Pro Shop yet — the Pyramid is weird enough as is — but the lookout point does offer a pretty spectacular view of the river and downtown.

19.  Jerry’s SnoCones. Every local will know what I’m referring to.

20.  Above all, my recommendation would be for tourists to come during May when Memphis spends the entire month celebrating, which includes a music, BBQ and international festival as well as the Sunset Symphony to close the month out. It’s the best of both the tourist and the local world. However, it will inevitably storm during every event, so wear your rain boots.

If you love your hometown or have a city you’re particularly familiar with, and want to show tourists what the locals love, please contact me at hewittr@kenyon.edu and I’ll happily sit down with you to work out an article that showcases your love for your city.

Image sources: Bill Bannister, Tnvacation.com, Flickr, Regan Hewitt, Kate and Chuck Schrader,  Joe Murphy

English major, History minor, Diet Coke addict // senior at Kenyon College // Memphis native // please contact hewittr@kenyon.edu for resume & full portfolio