This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s one of those times of the year where everything is kind of dreary outside, and everyone becomes a wintrovert (anyone who magically becomes an introvert during winter). But, even with cold temperatures and the dreary gray atmosphere of leafless trees and no snow, I am always cheered up by how much better many women’s lives are than they were in the past.

Yeah, we in this country (and many others) still have to deal with a pay gap (it’s awful), sexism and racism (they still exist, even when it’s 20-freaking-16), and the “pink tax” (why are tampons, like, $40 a pack?), but feminism is working to do away with these establishments.

Thank you, feminism, for working towards a day when we don’t have to deal with all of these things, and for creating a world where women don’t have to acquiesce to their spouses’ every whim. Thank you, feminism, for allowing women to vote. Thank you, feminism, for encouraging girls to get a job in STEM, or in theater, or in investment banking, or in the army. Thank you, feminism, for arguing for a woman and girl’s right to an education around the world.

Not all women are as fortunate as I am. Many women still have to fight (and risk a ton) for their education, safety, and legal rights, among many other things. Thank you, feminism, for teaching me that not only women in the world still fight for their rights and need allies, but many other people still need allies and voices that support their fight to achieve their rights.

There are women around the world who endure harder struggles than I will ever have to. I am fortunate to live in a place where I can go to school without fear, have my mind respected, and be treated as an equal to men.

Speaking of education, we’re learning about the Renaissance in my Art History class. Women were supposed to be chaste, obedient, and quiet. Although they did not have as much freedom as my peers and I have (women back then could either marry or join a convent), I’m sure that many women in the Renaissance were probably so used to the rules that only few questioned them, which is why you don’t hear of many Renaissance feminists who were particularly well received. Most women probably did what they were expected to do. It makes me wonder how our descendants will think of us. What are we accepting right now? What are we doing that may be viewed as sexist and old-fashioned in 200 years?

The fact that I am able to question the society of which I am a part is just one of the many ways I’m thankful for feminism. Thank you, feminism, for allowing me to question. Thank you for providing me with more choices in life. Yes, we as women still have a long way to go. We’ve always got to fight for all of our sisters, especially those who aren’t as fortunate as we are. So thank you, feminism, for giving me the ability and the passion to do that. The world is a better place because of you.

Image Credit: Feministing, Hello Giggles, French by Design Blog

Lindy is a current senior at Kenyon college majoring in Anthropology and Art History. She enjoys travel, books, cinema, art, food, and Scottish Whisky. Someday she hopes to travel around the world with a corgi named Max.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.