Take A Walk: The Health Benefits of Getting Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s easy to forget that there’s a whole other world outside the leave-strewn Kenyon blur of books, coffee cups, and empty beer cans…but there is, and it’s waiting for you just down the hill –and no I’m not talking about the always cheerful and classy Mt. Vernon–but the great outdoors. Just a short walk away from campus lies the Brown Family Environmental Center and tucked within it lies a peaceful haven of trees, sky, and animals. Cows mill around huge fields, laconically chewing on grass and the forest just beyond their pasture is peaceful and strangely inviting. Anyone will admit that life at Kenyon can be a little much sometimes and the constant stress of trying to keep your life together can be exhausting.  The pressure to succeed academically, be satisfied socially, and be both physically and mentally well is incredibly taxing, and everyone needs to get away every now and then.

We’re so lucky to be surrounded by such gorgeous trails which make it so easy to escape to the outdoors when things get to be too much. The power of the outdoors is unbelievable at times, it can be so healing to just escape for a little and take a walk outside. As it gets colder, it’s increasingly hard to find the opportunity to just take a short stroll, which is why it’s so necessary to get outside while even the littlest bit of sun still shines outside. Taking a walk amongst the (now-barren) trees, hearing the crunch of wood beneath your feet, and breathing in the fresh air is the best medicine for Kenyon claustrophobia. According to Harvard Medical school, there are five main reasons to get outside.

Your vitamin D levels rise. 
Studies show that absorbing vitamin D from the sunlight can help fight conditions from cancer to depression. It’s going to be even more important in the dreary dark days of winter we have ahead of us to soak up as much vitamin D as possible.

It’s a good way to get exercise.
 If getting outside is a daily goal, then it means less time wasted on Facebook or watching TV and more time walking and putting your body in motion (and you won’t feel so guilty skipping working out at the KAC!)

Your concentration will improve.
 It’s proven that children with ADHD focus better after being outdoors. If you are stuck in the library for hours on end and you don’t seem to be getting anyway work done, go for a walk! If you’re having trouble concentrating, then outdoor activity might help.

You may heal faster.
In a study, people recovering from spinal surgery experienced less pain and stress and took fewer pain medications when they were exposed to natural light. If you’re feeling sick or simply just hungover, then the fresh air might do you some good.

But the most important reason is:

You’ll be happier. 
Natural sunlight elevates people’s moods. Physical activity has been shown to help people relax and cheer up, so if you’re feeling down then getting fresh air and moving your body will help clear your mind. Life at Kenyon can often feel cluttered with meaningless gossip about hookups and drunken escapades, and that combined with the academic stress and lack of sleep can drive a person crazy, so get outside! Go for a walk along the Kokosing, or explore some cornfields when you have a spare moment during the day instead of meandering around the dark, depressing dorm. It’ll benefit you both mentally and physically, and you’ll be happier!

.

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!