katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Student Discounts You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Student discounts are one of the great perks of being a student. Whether you are looking to buy something big, like a new computer, or wanting to just see a movie with some friends, student discounts are usually easy to find and totally worth it. And if, like me, you’re facing the fact that after May 21st you might never be a student again, you’re going to want to take advantage of those deals sooner rather than later.

The Big Stuff

Computers

Apple

Apple will give you up to $200 off a new Mac and $20 off an iPad if you’re either a student or a parent of a student.

Microsoft

Students can get 10% off a Surface and various other discounts on laptops accessories and software, depending on the product.

HP

HP’s discounts vary wildly, but they have some decent ones on laptops, desktops and printers.

Travel

Student Universe

For people going abroad, this is the best. I got to and from my study abroad and all around Europe for reasonable prices. Be sure to check out other countries’ versions of Student Universe. I found my flight home from London for approximately $300 cheaper on the UK version of the site.

The Small Stuff

Movies

Movie discounts unfortunately vary by theater. AMC and Regal both have student pricing at some theaters, but this is rarely available online or via a machine because they require ID verification. They normally only cut anywhere from $1-3 off the normal evening price, but with movie ticket prices in the teens every bit helps. Try it out next time you’re in Columbus!

Food

Again, these may vary, but the next time you find yourself in Waffle House, Subway or Qdoba. see if they accept your K-card! It’s basically free if your parents are paying for it, right? 

Subscriptions

Spotify Premium

The best purchase I’ve made with my discount thus far. It is 4.99/month with a student email address (it’s normally 9.99/month). So the next time you want to have a dance party, everyone can queue up what they want and you won’t have to stop for commercials.

Adobe

This one is only worth it for art, film and photography students. Adobe’s creative cloud software (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Lightroom, Indesign etc) is available to students for 9.99/month. It’s expensive, but for students you get all of the programs Adobe has on the creative cloud plus storage space for that price while without a discount 9.99/month only gets you one program. If you want all of them without a student discount it is 49.99/month.

These are my favorites, but there are a ton more, some of which aren’t officially listed. So whenever you buy something, bringing your student ID along and asking about discounts can only save you money. 

Image credits: Drupalize.me

Claire Smith is a senior at Kenyon College in Ohio working towards a degree in English. She hopes to have a career writing and editing and over the past few years has contributed articles to Escalating Registers, Madison House Autism Foundation and Geek Insider.