timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spreading Love on Valentine’s Day When You’re Single and Bitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

In case you missed the tacky candy-heart pick up lines and the excessive rows of pink fluffy space fillers (that your imaginary boyfriend will forget to buy you, yet again), it’s that time of year once more. But how can anyone be anything but sweet with all the candy your secret admirer (also responds to “mom”) sent to you? Here are 5 ways to spread the feels even though you are not particularly feeling them yourself.

Take Advantage of Every Holiday Deal Possible

So you don’t have a significant other, but there are always two men who will be there for you in times of need: they go by Ben and Jerry. But don’t be one of those moaney single people who sits around with a pint of ice cream and complains about being forever alone. Instead, grab another single friend and make a bucket list of every Valentine’s Day special offer in which you could never partake alone. Pass your single friend off as your date for the day and you can finally get those cheaper movie tickets or the couples massage you’ve always wished for.

Remember your Family

Yes, Valentine’s Day celebrates love but who is to say that love can’t be platonic? This year, instead of calling your grandmother to thank her for the card she sent, use that mysterious thing called a mailbox and send her one back! Spend some time goofing off at the supermarket or the closest convenience store sifting through the stationary section. Better yet, chip in with some friends to buy a big bag of chocolates and turn it into a game to see who can find the cheesiest cards for their relatives (winner gets the sweets!).

Do Justice to the Rest of the National Holidays

Rise above the commercialism of candy hearts and Kay’s Jewelry ads (did you know the word kiss begins with “k”?) and throw your own bash for a holiday that is more relevant to you. Forget the fact that Valentine’s lasts a day and remember that Black History Month is for 28 (this year, 29!) days. Spend the day raising awareness for National Organ Donor Day, which also falls on February 14th! If you still aren’t inspired by those causes for celebration, please take note that February 14th is also National Ferris Wheel Day!

Prepare for Single’s Awareness Day

It can be rough to watch your friends receive piles of candy and chocolate, but instead of giving in, hold out for 24 hours until February 15th, known more commonly as Single’s Awareness Day. Wait one day and all of the candy that wasn’t sold on Valentine’s Day will be yours for the discounted taking… did I mention that February 15th is, incidentally, National Gumdrop Day?

Volunteer

Instead of sulking around complaining about the relationship you don’t have, be thankful for what you do have. Since restaurants are too crowded on Valentine’s Day and many of your friends are probably spending time with their significant others, spend the day with your single friends volunteering. Show some love for those who are unable to spend the day with family or do not have family, for example, some of the elderly people in the nearest nursing home. Why whine about being alone when you can be alone together?

While the concept of spending another Valentine’s Day single may make you cringe, remember that just because you’re single does not mean that you must spend the day physically alone. If you think about it, a day filled with candy, discounts, and an excuse to justify your venting doesn’t sound half bad and odds are, you’re another year closer to finding a special someone — so enjoy the single life while it lasts!

Image credits: theporchdallas.com, giphy.com